Problem with IE, very strange.

Mchart

Quite sometime ago i had this same problem, as it turned out i had a virus. I wish i could remember the name of it now but i cant. I do remember i went to the Symantec and got a fix though.

Im not saying that this is what is wrong with your system. It was what was wrong with mine when i got that same error message all the time.

Does IE work properly under a different User Profile on your machine?

If you have not attempted this do so. I would also create another profile just to verify.

If, by chance, everything works fine create a new profile and migrate your settings from your old profile to the new. ;)

Maybe this will help you.

1. Take a backup of your registry.

2. Change the reg values for 'SourcePath' and 'ServicePackSourcePath' at the location 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\' to a folder on your 'C:\' drive for example 'C:\BackUp\' . Also do the same for 'SourcePath' at the location 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\' . Just this time make it 'C:\BackUp\I386\' .

3. Next copy all the contents of your Windows XP CD onto the folder. Verify the path 'C:\BackUp\I386\' to make sure it contains all the files that are within '<CD Drive>:\I386\' .

4. Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 from the location below :

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6...935-SP2-ENU.exe

Save the file at 'C:\' .

5. Open a command prompt. Go to 'C:\' . Type 'C:\WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe /s:C:\BackUp\' without the quotes. This will Slipstream Windows XP with the latest service pack i.e. Service Pack 2 ( which you had downloaded previously ).

6. Once integrating the service pack is over, restart the machine so that the changes that you have made to the registry will be reflected.

7. Try reinstalling IE.