XPlode 3 Suggestions

Wraith

A well thought out and devised guide with pictures and instructions.

This app is really a great thing, however i belive alot of people are confused about the process to get it to work for them.

With a easy to understand guide, i think this app would blowup like nlite or many of our other internal member contribted apps.

|Drew|

@prathapml:

That will be dependent on the display plugin used - at this stage I'm thinking of going with creating both the original XPlode and the XPlode2 layouts - the latter supports named colours by default (IE HTML renderer).

@drew:

I've been writing the guide this past 24 hours, while I wait for people to give me ideas ;-)

Suggestions? Allright.

I work alot with AutoIt. So I have some things you could add.

- Run a program/installation hidden

- Wait for a window/process and "kill it" when it shows up (MSN Messenger during Messenger Plus install)

- Choice between: run and wait and run and continue

I think when I wake up tomorrow, I'll have more ideas.

i have two suggestions for switches

1.a switch for an item unchecked

just like if i want the xplode to do a cleanup job,but some users unchecked,the things will go worse

2.a switch for relative items

just think A is dependent on B,if user unchecked B,then A must be unchecked automatically

:hello: Ok, although the ability to have a menu to check and uncheck items is nice i still have a problem with making an unattended cd with choices to choose in the middle of installation. I believe all the choices should be made at the very beginning (i.e. having a multiboot cd type menu which will allow the user to choose what to install from the very beginning). So it is just choose what to install, setup partition and format, walk away cause you're done ! It sounds nice but I didn't to much thought into it. Nice work bye the way. Just been a week since I got started with XPlode. Downloading some xml ebooks now to try and get out of the foggy woods of xml I'm in right now......or is that just smoke from the bongÂż :rolleyes::P

I agree with power350, if there is to be a menu in this great application then it must be at the start of windows, which i think is probably impossible.

I use XPlode to install on a computer that i can Format and just let it do the rest, can have that extra cup of coffee :D . For the computers that i have to choose software i use WPI. This is another great application with menu's. What i would not like to see is XPlode going on to be another WPI. They are both used for different things. ;)

@prathapml do you mean plain colours as in 'red' 'yellow' 'blue' but also the ability to put in '#FFFFFF'. XPlode would then know due to the hash that it is hex. That is a good idea. Maybe this could be implimented into a GUI?

Something I would like to see would be a test mode. With the press of a button or a cmd etc you could actually have a demo of what your settings look like. This could also be in a GUI. It would not need to run any programs but just put up the interface ie Pictures if you have them defined and list the software. With say the ESC button you come out of this back into your desktop. This would make it a lot easier to understand the difference betweet the windowmode plus the window position.

- Run a program/installation hidden

You can already do that.

- Wait for a window/process and "kill it" when it shows up (MSN Messenger during Messenger Plus install)

Can't just use pskill or something?

- Choice between: run and wait and run and continue

I think when I wake up tomorrow, I'll have more ideas.

Can already do that.

1.a switch for an item unchecked

just like if i want the xplode to do a cleanup job,but some users unchecked,the things will go worse

You'll need to explain further.

2.a switch for relative items

just think A is dependent on B,if user unchecked B,then A must be unchecked automatically

I'm not going to add support for dependencies - this tool wasn't really intended just to be given to people who have no knowledge of how the software works. The plan was for the sysadmin to install what they need, and hence, should know which to install when.

Ok, although the ability to have a menu to check and uncheck items is nice i still have a problem with making an unattended cd with choices to choose in the middle of installation. I believe all the choices should be made at the very beginning (i.e. having a multiboot cd type menu which will allow the user to choose what to install from the very beginning). So it is just choose what to install, setup partition and format, walk away cause you're done !

Same reason as the previous response - if you need multiple setups, either handle it through the include tags I've added recently, or figure out a way to copy a specific XML when starting the installation.

An XMl editor, if its not too much.

No time. Sorry.

Something I would like to see would be a test mode. With the press of a button or a cmd etc you could actually have a demo of what your settings look like. This could also be in a GUI. It would not need to run any programs but just put up the interface ie Pictures if you have them defined and list the software. With say the ESC button you come out of this back into your desktop. This would make it a lot easier to understand the difference betweet the windowmode plus the window position.

That has been on the cards since I started the new plugin system in XPlode2. At this stage it's not a priority.

The main reason for this thread was for SYSTEM functionality suggestions - editing registry, moving files, etc. etc.

At this stage I'm looking for more things along those lines, rather than adding stuff to the core module. We shall see about other things later.

unchecked switch

You'll need to explain further.

i mean that a switch/parametar for an uncheck forcefully.

at the end of automatic installation,i call an item to do sth about cleaning up xplode's directions,so i do not want this item will be unchecked by users.so use a switch to execuate forcefully,just like forceful=true(default forceful=false)

sorry for my poor english

its proably requested before anyway here goes

+ ability to choose applications

+ lock a selection

+ profiles

+ autoinstall after given time > countdown

if you have time left :P

show application icon beside the installing application

if you have tonnes of time left

splash a screenie (user specified image) of the application being installed :)