Unattended Website Additions

I'm not going to touch the Applications and Registry Tweaks till the end, or they're the very first thing I do. I'm going to attempt a online database, and I'll ask xper whether or can be loaded on the unattended site, and not hosted elsewhere. I'll have to figure out how to allow people to enter stuff though.....so all you PHP/MYSQL people out there, if you've got suggestions so I don't have to read endless manuals :P

Do remember links to posts if they're methods, and if just a general idea you've had, be elaborate in your discriptions :)

Also, I can't change the general layout of the site. I might be able to reorganzie, but the general shape (the graphics, and menus) all stay the same. Too bad too, we could have had a nice competition for layouts :P Oh wellz

Alanoll, its just an opinion.... but I wouldn't bother about applications and reg-tweaks at the beginning. Finishing up with all else and then turning attention towards it is more like it.

About the "more, clearer advertising" - is a bit off-topic, so if you want to discuss that, please start a new thread.

I would ike to see more separation between RunOnceEx and GuiRunOnce methods. Noobs accidently mix these 2 together.
I agree. I think it can be done as a part of the Applications category which would include:
  • Installation methods
    • GuiRunOnce
    • RunOnceEx
    • RunOnceEx from CD
    • (possibly) links to projects like Installs.exe and WPI

[*]Installers

[*]Application Switches (general information with several examples given the database will be developed)

[*]Office ('cause it's a big and special case)

At least, this is what I'm plannig to do and have partially implemented for my web site...

I generally like the idea of separating beginners/advanced guides, but it's sort of hard to separate. The minimum for the beginners is:

Start

$OEM$ folders (with possible causes of why they don't get copied to HDD)

Answer file + its reference

Service Pack 2 (whether its manual integration, nLite or XPCreate) and updates

Registry Tweaks (yeah, I think noobs need this too :) It's pretty easy to understand)

Finalising CD

That's the core. I wouldn't include Applications into the beginners section, because this is where it gets messy and never ever ends :)

I'll think of something else later. And, please, Alanoll, post any web site changes in the Translations thread. That's important, because we already have 6 translations.

Cheers!

And, please, Alanoll, post any web site changes in the Translations thread. That's important, because we already have 6 translations.
I don't think its possible.

In all likelihood, the guide's gonna have wholesale changes, and the translators will have to re-work it.

And, please, Alanoll, post any web site changes in the Translations thread. That's important, because we already have 6 translations.
I don't think its possible.

In all likelihood, the guide's gonna have wholesale changes, and the translators will have to re-work it.

My site is not a complete translated mirror, some misc materials have been ommited, some added. I don't mind reworking the site, I just don't check out the original guide daily or weekly. My point was to notify about the changes via the Translations thread, because the translators may be subscribed to it. At least I'm subscribed.

I was thinking about the applications database... One person cannot maintain it all, and apparently it has to be a work of multiple contributors. The tricky part is to organize the permissions to upload and edit the database. I got an idea. What about wiki? If it is implemented, multiple users can upload and edit the information. The downside is multiple users can delete the information. See the Vandalism section of the article, though. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience with wiki. I hope there are MSFN members who have worked with wiki, and can describe the (dis)advantages of the technology should it be applied to the "apps switches database" project.

Perhaps oobeinfo.ini could be adopted as the method for adding users.

I have not tried this method yet. But seems to be success with it from users.

Many more options seem to available via this method. The autologon could still be in a *.reg file, or even added in the regtweaks *.reg file? It is a logon tweak.

Thanks. B)

I was thinking about the applications database... One person cannot maintain it all, and apparently it has to be a work of multiple contributors. The tricky part is to organize the permissions to upload and edit the database. I got an idea. What about wiki? If it is implemented, multiple users can upload and edit the information. The downside is multiple users can delete the information. See the Vandalism section of the article, though. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience with wiki. I hope there are MSFN members who have worked with wiki, and can describe the (dis)advantages of the technology should it be applied to the "apps switches database" project.

Originally, I was planning on a database, that users would ahve to register for (unless I figure out and work with xper to use the forum member base) to allow for input. The only catch would have been that I'd also have a MOD group that would have to just go through and see that what people entered aren't duplicates or are actually switches and whatnot. And then once "approved" it would be accessible to everyone.

Now implementing.... ::shivers::

Perhaps oobeinfo.ini could be adopted as the method for adding users.

Yes, you could make that as the default recommended way of adding users for the "simple" way. What makes it even more simple is that if you add only one user, that user will get admin rights and be automatically logged-on. Also, oobeinfo.ini is an automated method of the OOBE that runs at first-boot - so effectively it is a perfect method.

The "advanced" page can have all the "net user" commands and .reg auto-logon and whatnot.... But spare the newbies the bother!