Try scratching this DVD

SiMoNsAyS

Researchers at electronics giant TDK have developed a tough new coating that promises to make scratched DVDs a thing of the past and that will help usher in an emerging data storage format with 10 times the capacity of the current DVD standard.
In a test conducted by CNET News.com, a DVD treated with TDK's coating survived a determined attack with a screwdriver and a Sharpie permanent marker with no effect on playability--a remarkable feat considering how easily standard DVDs can be damaged, for example, by children.

Source: News.com

That is truely a great creation. My AIO DVD really needs that, just going from CD case into DVD drive causes scratches.

Every DVD I own has been copied (backup, not bootlegged), and the original has only been out of its case once (to copy), so I don't worry too much about my bought DVD's. For my copied DVD's this coating would be great.

Does anyone know if its a coating thats available to apply to a DVD, or will it be put onto commercial DVD's?

I'm not concerned about my unattended install whatsoever, and not too much about "video" DVDs either. If these discs are as resistant as they claim *AND* that they're not organic dye based (ie: something that WILL last for quite a while), then it could be a good storage medium for pictures and such, which is a major problem now for most ppl shooting DSLRs nowadays (lots of stuff to store safely but no real solution). I don't mind paying more for the media. If the same holds true for the Blue Ray discs, then I'm definately going to be buying a drive ASAP. Their size would also be great for saving things like HDTV TransportStreams as-is for those of us who get the nice feeds (no reencoding, no splitting/spanning across several discs, etc), I can already see lots of use for it (especially if the media is really reliable, unlike DVDs). Personally, I hope to see Blue Ray win, let's hope it won't be like the vhs/betamax case :thumbdown

Long live DVD? I'm rather looking forward to something else to replace it (can't wait really). Even the dual layer discs (not quite cheap yet for everyday use) don't hold that much really... Not that I want DVD dead, but it's just not enough (ok, it still beats using 700mb CDs).

How about ultraviolet laser 500GB discs (as Pioneer promised)? Blue Ray will be nice, but this is gonna be really great. With 500GB discs, I wouldn't mind backing up all my stuff regularly. I mean, even with expensive dual layer DVDs, it still takes a half spindle (25'ish) to backup a simple single 200gb drive, now what about backing up multiple raid arrays or whole SANs? ... Tape drives only hold so much. Nowadays, anybody who wants to can buy over 1TB of storage easily (around 600 USD).

[edit] Looks like 4x media might be becoming harder to find soon (they're selling below production price) and I guess less production and same demand will drive the prices back up slightly. Perhaps they'll all switch to making faster (about same scenario) and dual layer discs (more lucrative).