Winamp - Is it really free?

cancer10

How come this software is free? I've used it for about 4 years now, and it's the best Media Player out there, in my opinion. I know they started charging for WinAmp Pro, but still they never charged anything before that. Where do they make their money?! They're no advertisemtns, and seemingly no adware or spyware within the program. I thought that perhaps they send statistics to what is being listened to, to record companies? That annonomous tracking thing which you can use if you want. I just find it a little bit suspicious otherwise, lol...

winamp was free until the advanced cd ripper came as a feature. an "official" program needs to pay copyright and so on to the codecs used... so yes, for me winamp is free! if we don't make use of cd ripping, the program is fully functional ;)

winamp was free until the advanced cd ripper came as a feature. an "official" program needs to pay copyright and so on to the codecs used... so yes, for me winamp is free! if we don't make use of cd ripping, the program is fully functional ;)

Not only that, the cd ripping is terrible, along with the burning. CdEx is a better application (freeware) for cd ripping.

they have a different opinion about their future at  http://www.winamp.com

And somehow I think the winamp-guys will keep up their good work, maybe not as winamp, but as something.

have some faith guys  :thumbup

What did you see at winamp's site? Or didn't you get the news last week? ...

They might make something else, but it won't be winamp (they can't make a 100% clone either of course). Faith or not... I still have v5.05 and that will do for a long time :)

when big corporations come into it, they ruin the "free software". AOL ruined it

What happened? AOL, the software I hate the most! They bought WinAmp? Whats the deal. Why do I see WinAmp and AOL next to eachother.

I hate AOL, and if they ruined WinAmp for everybudy, they will get alot of hatemail.