2.0b2 - my suggestions

azagahl

2.0b2 works great, even better than 1.6.2 :)

Thanks Gape.

Here are some things I noticed:

1. While installing it, it asked me to shutdown and I said no. It continued installing stuff. I suspect if I answered Yes, it might not have installed everything properly. The installation is scary overall, with windows shrinkng and maximizing randomly!

2. It is missing these hotfixes / updates, please add them in your next release:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=870669

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...c/rtf/en/95.htm

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...rtf/en/5285.htm

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=14964

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=16898

3. doshere.zip (Command Prompt Here) and ttfext.zip (TrueType Font Extension) should be included :)

4. I get Windows protect errors unless I use "EMMExclude=A000-FFFF" in my system.ini. Personally I'd rather have Win98 NOT crash, even if I have to give up 400 KB or whatever. I suggest making this default.

5. You should include WinPatcher.exe or similar effects (it extracts from cabs vcomm.vxd, vdmad.vxd, configmg.vxd, vdd.vxd, vmouse.vxd, ntkern.vxd, vflatd.vxd, and ios.vxd into windows and system directories). sp 2.0b2 only installs some of these. Supposedly installing all of them this keeps Windows from building a combined vmm32.vxd , which wastes resources. This might all be supserstition but please do some research.

6. Does "Network server" in the Performance tab acutally help? Because I noticed sp 2.0b2 does not select this but SiSoft Sandra recommends it.

>I get Windows protect errors unless I use "EMMExclude=A000-FFFF" in my system.ini.

Hi, its me again. I have more system.ini suggestions to add. I just installed 1 GB RAM in my system and could not start windows due to sbeinit.com (Soundblaster Live! card). It said it cannot load before 4 MB boundary or some such nonsense.

MaxPhysPage=30000 (not 40000) fixes this, but this wastes 256 MB. I found a better way to fix the problem!

[386Enh]

EMMExclude=A000-FFFF

VGAMonoText=OFF

LocalLoadHigh=1

PageBuffers=32

I recommend using these settings. And If somone is knowledgable about these, maybe they are appropriate as defaults for sp2.

>I get Windows protect errors unless I use "EMMExclude=A000-FFFF" in my system.ini.

Hi, its me again. I have more system.ini suggestions to add. I just installed 1 GB RAM in my system and could not start windows due to sbeinit.com (Soundblaster Live! card). It said it cannot load before 4 MB boundary or some such nonsense.

MaxPhysPage=30000 (not 40000) fixes this, but this wastes 256 MB. I found a better way to fix the problem!

[386Enh]EMMExclude=A000-FFFF

VGAMonoText=OFF

LocalLoadHigh=1

PageBuffers=32

I recommend using these settings. And If somone is knowledgable about these, maybe they are appropriate as defaults for sp2.

Would be nice to get more input from some other people running with 1GB of RAM and see if they get similar problems. I would suggest unstalling the soundcard drivers and physically removing the card from the system to see if this is the sole cause of the problem.

As for your [386Enh] settings, I remember seeing references to VGAMonoText=OFF way back in the day of computers running 95/98 with 16MB of RAM. Since you are running 768MB-1GB I seriously doubt saving a couple KiloBytes of RAM is going to do anything for you.

5. You should include WinPatcher.exe or similar effects (it extracts from cabs vcomm.vxd, vdmad.vxd, configmg.vxd, vdd.vxd, vmouse.vxd, ntkern.vxd, vflatd.vxd, and ios.vxd into windows and system directories). sp 2.0b2 only installs some of these. Supposedly installing all of them this keeps Windows from building a combined vmm32.vxd , which wastes resources. This might all be supserstition but please do some research.

I must say it's an honor to see my application suggested to be included. (At least, I think this is the application I wrote, I do recall writing one with that name!) I haven't actually run this file in a while, though I will be checking on it now that I see it is still being used and perhaps I will update as I see fit.

A batch file would be much easier to include into that however, because with WinPatcher being written in VB it requires the MSVBVM60.DLL file, plus the application itself. If you've noticed when you run WinPatcher it basically opens a DOS window and extracts the file to the appriopriate directory. Even though it would be nice (and worth the bragging rights) to see my application go in, I believe the *.bat file would be for the better. It would be smaller and faster to execute.

Maybe if I learn more with Delphi 6 I can rewrite the application and it could be used there. I don't really know, I'm just starting to scratch at Delphi 6 as I intend to develop web based applications and the likes in the log run. (Including chat bots, chat clients, and other Internet based applications for the end-user)

3. doshere.zip (Command Prompt Here) and ttfext.zip (TrueType Font Extension) should be included

The "Drop to DOS" extension might be a good idea. Ive been using it myself for a considerable lenght of time. Another thing Ive found that also helps (since we are on the subject of CLI stuff) is to add "SET DIRCMD=/A/O" to the autoexec.bat file. What that does is automatically append the /a and /o switches to the dir command, saving the user typing.

The /a will show all files even if they have the hidden attribute set (I wouldnt think most people would want files hidden from them). The /o switch will sort the directory listing alphabetically with folders first, which I would think most people would prefer this way rather than having it listed in no particular order at all.

1. While installing it, it asked me to shutdown and I said no. It continued installing stuff. I suspect if I answered Yes, it might not have installed everything properly. The installation is scary overall, with windows shrinkng and maximizing randomly!

2. It is missing these hotfixes / updates, please add them in your next release:

3. doshere.zip (Command Prompt Here) and ttfext.zip (TrueType Font Extension) should be included :)

5. You should include WinPatcher.exe...

Thanks for great feedback! :thumbup

You're right about "reboot" problem. I'm working on it.

This update is already in the SP. But you should install IE 6.0 before installing the SP.

I hope, "Dos Here" will be in the final.

About VXD Fix, SP installs 5 of them (vcomm.vxd, configmg.vxd, vmouse.vxd, ntkern.vxd, ios.vxd), because they're updated.

I think, most of these settings don't seem suitable for general usage. Most useful setting is EMMExclude=A000-FFFF, maybe it helps to solve some problems. But IMHO, PageBuffers (which works with only permanent swap file) and VGAMonoText settings should be useless.

EMMExclude=A000-FFFF: To prevent Windows from searching the Upper Memory Area (UMA) for unused memory (RAM) upon startup. Safer if you use any 3rd party memory managers (QEMM, NetRoom, 386MAX etc), or any real MS-DOS mode devices/drivers/TSRs in CONFIG.SYS/AUTOEXEC.BAT.

PageBuffers: To increase the 4 KB page buffers number (in KiloBytes) for storing asynchronous read/write pages, and thus boost Windows fixed disk performance. Works ONLY if using 32-bit disk access (FBDA) AND a permanent swap file. Default value is 4. Maximum allowed is 32.

VGAMonoText: To allow Windows to use the B000-B7FF Upper Memory Area (UMA) if not used by other hardware devices (monochrome video adapters) or graphics/video (VGA/SVGA/XVGA) applications. Default value is ON. If a hardware device/peripheral or an upper/extended/expanded memory manager using this memory range is installed, this area is NOT available to Windows.

LocalLoadHigh: To increase the amount of conventional (low) DOS memory (RAM) available to each DOS session/box to maximum. Default value is 0.

About VXD Fix, SP installs 5 of them (vcomm.vxd, configmg.vxd, vmouse.vxd, ntkern.vxd, ios.vxd). For the final, I can add other files (vdmad.vxd, vdd.vxd, vflatd.vxd).

I recently did research into the vmm32.vxd "fix" and found that they are indeed rumors. Just like with applications, the fewer files you have to load, the better your system will be. This includes system performance, memory and in this case, boot time.

http://www.infinisource.com/techfiles/vmm32.html

Tarun, you're right.

However, I have to copy these 5 files into \Windows\System\VMM32, because they're updated. But I will only copy these updated files, I will NOT copy other VXD-Fix files.

Tarun, you're right.

However, I have to copy these 5 files into \Windows\System\VMM32, because they're updated. But I will only copy these updated files, I will NOT copy other VXD-Fix files.

Why not follow the instructions on that page to construct a new vmm32.vxd and use that as the primary distributable file?

Tarun when i run your winpatcher how do i use it?do i need to extract the files from the win 98 cab files?also adding those vxds kinda seems to help with apps n stuff

Simply click the buttons for scanning each directory. I should have included a "Back" button. ;)

Just updated it and added a back button, along with allowing it to show in the taskbar in case of any mishaps/errors.

Though I really no longer recommend "patching", as it makes your system a little slower and takes up a bit more memory in reality. :\

Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with these applications. I simply work with them as a hobby. I do however have roughly ten years of computer experience. By downloading any files, you agree that I am in no way legally responsible for damage to your computer software or hardware. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the covered code is with you. Should any covered code prove defective in any respect, you (Not the initial developer or any other contributor) assume the cost of any necessary servicing, repair, or correction. By seeking my assistance you hereby waive any possible means of legal action or otherwise.

WinPatcher 1.01

WinPatcher had a minor update, added a back button and taskbar feature.

VMM32

VMM32 was constructed under the advice and guidance of multiple PC technicians under a STABLE Windows ME OS. By downloading and/or using you agree to the disclaimer.

To the guy trying to use WinPatcher, it wants you to copy win98\*.* from your Windows CD to c:\windows\options\cabs. In fact, a lot of people install Win98 by doing that copy to a blank hard drive and then running setup from that dir.

Tarun, hiya - I'm a sort of tinkering newbie and being an inveterate downloader I downloaded your "VMM" and "WinPatcher" programmes. Could you tell me what they will do for me?

:huh:

PS - I do have the Win98 files off the CD copied to options\cabs (which is nominated as my default installation location so other files get added to the folder over course of time).