Protecting our Unattended CD/DVD

If I'm not mistaken, not only the serial in the winnt.sif will be encrypted. I think all the info stored there will be encrypted too. If my memory serves me right, you have to use a tool which is inside the cab files on you xp cd, just like the tool to make the winnt.sif. But I can't remember which tool exactly it is.

Here is the big question; How can we protect our long-developped-addictive-TimeSaver Wonder?

I've had a theory I've always wanted to try out.

Compress all your OEM files into a CABinet and obfuscate the title as say, s049a_x9.cab. Store it in i386.

Build your own bootloader (very easy, programs will make one for you) that loads i386\winnt.cmd.

Modify winnt.cmd so it reads as follows: (CD-Drive detection from Firefox guide)

@echo off

FOR %%d IN (c: d: e: f: g: h: i: j: k: l: m: n: o: p: q: r: s: t: u: v: w: x: y: z:) DO IF EXIST %%d\CD.TXT SET CDROM=%%d

expand %CDROM%\i386\s049a_x9.cab %SYSTEMDRIVE%\OEM_FILES
%CDROM%:\i386\winnt32 /s:%CDROM%\i386 /unattend:winnt.sif /copysource:lang

My theory is, that would expand the OEM files from an obfuscated CABinet to C:\OEM_FILES. You then under [unattended] in winnt.sif set OEMFilesPath to C:\OEM_FILES and go from there.

Only problem would be that drives wouldn't be configured yet. I think however that if you threw FDISK into i386 and called it, creating say a primary partition 15% of the total size of your disk, calling it C:\, that might fit the bill...

@galvanocentric

Yes, it is quite possible. But then, you'd need to boot into DOS-mode and you need so many changes to the CD-structure (whereas MS intends taking us in the opposite direction with longhorn's WinPE setup). I'd say the above method you described, would be a lot of effort in return for nothing. :(

(more importantly, optimizing ISOs would be not possible with the above).

@galvanocentric

Yes, it is quite possible. But then, you'd need to boot into DOS-mode and you need so many changes to the CD-structure (whereas MS intends taking us in the opposite direction with longhorn's WinPE setup). I'd say the above method you described, would be a lot of effort in return for nothing. :(

(more importantly, optimizing ISOs would be not possible with the above).

I have so much time to waste it's not even funny. The more I think about it, my method would be much more practical and a lot less of a waste of time in say, a preinstallation environment (like WinPE) where you could do something more along the lines of the quick-restore disks. Simply compress C:\Windows to one CABinent, C:\Progra~1 to another CABinent, C:\Docume~1 to another, and so forth. :lol: Then you'd really be pimping as far as security is concerned.

If you're going to mod the structure, go for the gold.

You've given me a very big inspirational mindhump. Bootable DVD, WinPE as the base, UHarc compressed OSes from 3.1 onwards and upwards.

WinPE could boot, page the kernel to memory, keep itself on the DVD and you could then decompress whatever OS you wanted, already installed with default settings and programs installed, to the drive / partition of your choice. :thumbup

Only problem would be the HUGE amount of time needed for decompression, but you could sacrifice things and go for something with a faster rate of decompression, like RAR or 7z.

Thoughts? Do I have something here? And because we're talking DVD here, there'd be absolutely no need for optimization. Kind of pointless when we're talking 9GB of space to play with. :lol:

XP doesn't take more than 500 or so, and everything lower than that clocks in at shy of 300, astronomically less when considering 3.1.

PE itself's only about 100 or so megs.

One thing that you're forgetting with your idea of cloning an installed OS is the processor architectures. If the OS was installed on a pentium4, cloning it to a pentiumIII 700MHz will result in an un-bootable system. Similar is the case with multi/single processors, and hyper-threaded, etc. Reason is that the hardware abstraction layer is different with different underlying chips.

Anyway, we have gone far from the original topic. :P

DONT DOWNLOAD IT DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT!

I have installed trial version and when I uninstall it it deleeted every file from my desktop.Man because I am firefox user all my downloads was at desktop my iso folders every work I have done for 3 monts.All gone.Because xp is on the first boot driver it is too late to recover fles because first sectırs were filled by others.Man I am p***ed of :(:realmad: I wont download ever programs which is unknown :no:

This application looks interesting (except for the problems LaptoniC had :} ) but I think the scope of this app is better suited for professional data and backup... we don't even know if it will allow a Windows Installation.

EDIT:

CryptCD Home version is for those who need to securely store and/or transport their files on CD or DVD.

As I said before I'd rather find something simple that will make our CD/DVD hard to duplicate or extract the ISO...