Commands work alone but WIHU reports error

Morkeleb

Hi there.

I have created a quite extensive ini file but some of the applications do not install correctly when executed within. For example:

command.4.0 = "%systemdrive%\install\adobe\acrobatreader\Adobe Reader 6.0.1 - Deutsch.msi" /qb

description.4.0 = Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0.1

selected.4.0 = 1

help.4.0 = %systemdrive%\installhelp\adobe.rtf

When I call "%systemdrive%\install\adobe\acrobatreader\Adobe Reader 6.0.1 - Deutsch.msi" /qb from command line it is installed properly.

The other things that do not work are (for example):

- DirectX 9.0c: is seemingly installed (dxdiag shows 9.0c) but STATUS_WAIT_1 error is reported

- .cmd files applying pathes like "IE6.0-KB834707-WindowsXP-x86-DEU.exe -u -z" and "WindowsXP-KB840987-x86-deu.exe -u -z"

What might be the cause of this errors?

How to fix them?

Morkeleb

I don't think your problems are related to WIHU. As long as WIHU starts your desired application all paths seem to work and WIHU's task is for this reason done.

I face many problems, too, with my unattended installations, but they originate from other things. Here with me I don't seem to be able to install Acrobat Reader while at T-12 stage of Windows installation. Don't know why but it's just as it is. So I had to find another solution.

T-12? When's that exactly?

I start wihu from the [GuiRunOnce] section in winnt.sif.

Yea, I have some problems to fix to:

Adobe Audition gives me a headache - cant install it properly as the only way

to tell it the serial to use is an .mst file it seemes, and I did not manage to create one that works well. The one I managed to create relies on paths that only exist on the system i created it on, but not on the target installation.

Also protowall keeps telling the driver is not loaded even though I installed it.

What's your problem with Acrobat Reader? Mine tells me that the command switches were not ok, even though they are (it does not complain with the same command when I call it seperately).

Morke

T-12? When's that exactly?

I start wihu from the [GuiRunOnce]section in winnt.sif.

T-12 is the short way to say: 12 minutes left to end of installation. ;) Time is displayed in the left pane while installation is running, u certainly know it. For more information look here: http://www.windows-unattended.de/schritt12...?&func=Schritt3 and http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/READING/cmdlines.htm T-13/T-12 has its own advantages. ;)

What's your problem with Acrobat Reader?
My problem is that while Reader tries to install it suddendly opens a dialog box and wants me to put in the installation disk. :wacko: Of course, clicking "OK" doesn't help. I don't know where this comes from, but I'm sure I'll find a solution. :)

>>Please use /verbose=1 switch and show me the extact command line that was

executed by WIHU.

I at least found the problem with Acrobat Reader install.

when calling an .msi it automatically uses msiexec /i and puts the call under quotes. But if the call is already under quotes thats not ok.

So I removed the quotes (and changed the filename to not include spaces) and that did the trick.

As as for directx 9.0c it just called C:\install\directx\dxsetup.exe /silent.

No change here - installation is stared and probably completed, but a time_wait error is reported. I have no idea.

The other problems not executing the installation of patches vanished, I do not know if it was the update to the latest version or the /verbose switch, or even something else.

I cannot show you the exact commands for it closed the application automatically after it finished installation. Can I tell him to write a logfile with details of the installation somehow?

(Still not able to install audition and protowall correctly, but thats not a whiu issue).

my2001:

I know what T-12 meant.. Just wondered whats different environment-wise to after the windows installation (and I did not know by heart which exact stage T-12 was cause I never look at the exact time remaining and what it does then - I assumed it changes dependant of the pc-speed).

What do you think are the pro's of a T-12 installation?

Morkeleb

Browse the links above I provided and you'll get your information. :) What I like at T-12 stage is that all kinds of changes are imported into "default user"'s profile because at this time it's the only existing one. So all your HKCU-registry tweaks, etc. apply to _all_ later on created users by default. And this is fine! :D Moreover at T-12 the OS is quite fully loaded so there's almost no restriction in installing applications then. This also means the user won't really dare to cancel installation process here because Windows isn't yet installed completely.

All you have to do is to call WIHU in cmdlines.txt. So it'll be executed at T-12 and that's it. :)

• 1 year later...

hi folks, :hello:

so i've some similar problems like Morkeleb, especailly MS Office XP.

most problems disapeared as i used the verbose-mode (wtf? no idea ... never mind :P ) but Office installation still ends with the error code 00000656 - any idea? how can i found out what this error-code means?

Thanks for help!

PS: commandline: OfficeXP\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

Installation works fine with RunOnceEx-Method

hi folks, :hello:

so i've some similar problems like Morkeleb, especailly MS Office XP.

most problems disapeared as i used the verbose-mode (wtf? no idea ... never mind :P ) but Office installation still ends with the error code 00000656 - any idea? how can i found out what this error-code means?

Thanks for help!

PS: commandline: OfficeXP\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-

Installation works fine with RunOnceEx-Method

Office 2003 don't install at t12, but there seems to be a workaround somehow.

Do a search on t12 + office 2003.

Infact do a search always before questions made....

in fact i don't want to install office at t12 stage and in fact i searched and read a lot of topics but none solution was according to my problem. so this threat seems to be the nearest description.