removing longhorn

kickerman97

ppl are wierd. did u install it to your hard drive? with knowing whats gonna happen u should install stuff that are not out yet on virtual pc's or test machines!!!!

did u install it to the same partition as your other windows?

if so the program files are likely to get messed up. well hoping u at least installed it to another name (not windows, maybe winnt??) u can delete the folder but it will be very messy and u'll suffer from low performance.

to at least get rid of the boot menu, go enable hidden files & folders, then edit boot.ini to remove the entry of longhorn!

Thanks for the replies. I installed it on a seperate HDD than my XP install. I formatted the drive that longhorn was on, so I really just need to know how to get it off the boot.ini file correctly, and anything else that I need to do? Thanks again

Press Windows + Pause keys simultaniously, Click on the advanced tab, Startup and Recovery button, select the Edit startup options manually, this will bring up your boot.ini file in notepad and you can then remove the LH entry in the boot menu. Then just make sure you return your boot.ini file to a normal boot like below, yours may differ depending on disk/partitions etc.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I removed the lines in the boot.ini file as advised, but when my computer boots, I still get the choices. Of course, if longhorn gets selected, it says cannot find the file or something like that. I also made my boot file just like the one above, and the same thing???????? :realmad:

• 2 weeks later...

Another way:

Open up command prompt

Type:

"cd\"

"attrib -r -s -h boot.ini"

"edit boot.ini"

DOS editor opens - remove longhorn lines as instructed above.

Save the file.

Exit.

Back at command prompt:

"attrib +r +s +h boot.ini"

restart the machine.

• 3 weeks later...