[Release]: TCPIP.SYS Patch RTM.2180 (100 Connec.)

Hate to pull up old topics... but does this have any corrilation with windows file sharing?

In other words, lets say I share out a ton of files from my pc for others on my network to access. If I have more than 50 items shared (or whatever the default is) should I apply this fix?

I only ask because Im having major unexplained issues trying to access certain shares on my pc from other pcs on my network.

Thanks!

Hate to pull up old topics... but does this have any corrilation with windows file sharing?

In other words, lets say I share out a ton of files from my pc for others on my network to access.  If I have more than 50 items shared (or whatever the default is) should I apply this fix?

I only ask because Im having major unexplained issues trying to access certain shares on my pc from other pcs on my network.

Thanks!

This wouldn't have anything to do with your problem. This would be for something like a p2p program which connects to many clients. I believe the main reason for its create was to combat spam, from zombie computers.

As for your problem, it may be limitations of windows shares. I believe they only allow 10 connections at once. So if many people are connecting that way, that may be your problem.

As for your problem, it may be limitations of windows shares. I believe they only allow 10 connections at once. So if many people are connecting that way, that may be your problem.

Hrm.. so lets say I have like 5-7 (def no more than 10) shares setup on my main pc, of which has numerous folders inside of each share, but only accessing these shares from 2 PC's max. Should this limitation have anything to do with random folders not appearing under some of my shares?

I apologize if Im getting this thread too far off topic, but Ive been searching like a madman and this was the only topic that seemed it even remotely had to do with my problem.

And Ryan.. what do you mean by 'incomplete' connections?

Thanks again guys.

Hrm.. so lets say I have like 5-7 (def no more than 10) shares setup on my main pc, of which has numerous folders inside of each share, but only accessing these shares from 2 PC's max.  Should this limitation have anything to do with random folders not appearing under some of my shares?

No, that shouldn't be a problem. Its not the number of shares, but the number of concurrent sessions open (limit 10).

Right click on my comp, click manage. Open Shared Folders, and click sessions. Make sure you have less than 10 connected there.

If this doesn't fix your problem, then I suggest starting a new thread, as this doesn't appear to be a tcpip.sys problem. As I stated earlier, the modified tcpip.sys is more for p2p programs which need more connection/sec than normal.

No, that shouldn't be a problem.  Its not the number of shares, but the number of concurrent sessions open (limit 10).

I already told you once that's incorrect. It's not the number of concurrent connections that are limited, it's the number of incomplete TCP/IP requests that are limited. You can have 100 concurrent connections so long as they're not all trying to make the connection at the same time.

No, that shouldn't be a problem.  Its not the number of shares, but the number of concurrent sessions open (limit 10).

I already told you once that's incorrect. It's not the number of concurrent connections that are limited, it's the number of incomplete TCP/IP requests that are limited. You can have 100 concurrent connections so long as they're not all trying to make the connection at the same time.

We are talking about two different things. You are talking about connections to the OS, I am talking about the limitations of XP's windows shares. With windows shares you can have 10 concurrent connections max, unless you have server 2003 standard or better. I understand what you are saying, but you need to understand what I am saying.

OK, but are you sure that's a limitation of tcpip.sys or something else? That seems to me to be a different limitation (and hence unrelated to the thread topic). Not that I'm saying it's your fault it's off topic, but still :P

Thats why I said

If this doesn't fix your problem, then I suggest starting a new thread, as this doesn't appear to be a tcpip.sys problem. As I stated earlier, the modified tcpip.sys is more for p2p programs which need more connection/sec than normal.

I like order too in a forum.