[Release]: TCPIP.SYS Patch RTM.2180 (100 Connec.)

I'd personally recommend you just use lvllord's patch which takes care of all it automatically.

www.lvllord.de

i'd recommend it too, the difference between mine and lvllord's is the numbers of connections (100 for me) but it won't make a notable difference. it's just that i'm a little picky :P

I'd personally recommend you just use lvllord's patch which takes care of all it automatically.

www.lvllord.de

so i downloaded the file (EvID4226Patch212-en.zip), and i tried to run it like so:

%cdrom%\\Tweaks\\EvID4226Patch.exe /L=100

However, I get a cmd window asking if I really want to do it.

is there a way to run it silently?

(also, the "/L=100" switch supposedly makes the max # to 100 instead of the 50 by default)

I attached the screenshot.

the reason i'm doing it this way is because i THINK (?) that if i simply replace the file in 1386, that won't work because i am installing RyanVM Update 1.04.

what should i do?

it wasnt a joke, just take the file then & copy it during unattended install replacing it with the 1 on your cd

As I said earlier:

the reason i'm doing it this way is because i THINK (?) that if i simply replace the file in 1386, that won't work because i am installing RyanVM Update 1.04.

so what do i do?

It'll work fine, just put the hacked tcpip.sy_ in i386 after you extract the cab archive. Also, take note of the fact that QFECheck will complain that KB884020 isn't installed properly since the checksum of the file will be different. I've already had one guy on my forums bitching about it, and I don't need a second.

It'll work fine, just put the hacked tcpip.sy_ in i386 after you extract the cab archive.  Also, take note of the fact that QFECheck will complain that KB884020 isn't installed properly since the checksum of the file will be different. I've already had one guy on my forums bitching about it, and I don't need a second.

So I should run the tool, and copy "tcpip.sy_" from: where?

then put it in the i386

then itll work fine, and won't interfere with your pack at all?

Why will it say that KB884020 isn't installed?

It'll work fine, just put the hacked tcpip.sy_ in i386 after you extract the cab archive.  Also, take note of the fact that QFECheck will complain that KB884020 isn't installed properly since the checksum of the file will be different. I've already had one guy on my forums bitching about it, and I don't need a second.

So I should run the tool, and copy "tcpip.sy_" from: where? then put it in the i386. then itll work fine, and won't interfere with your pack at all?

You can just download the hacked tcpip.sy_ from this thread. It's pre-compressed and ready to be put directly in i386. No, it won't interfere.

Why will it say that KB884020 isn't installed?
QFECheck works by examining the file versions and checksum information provided to it by the registry entries all hotfixes create upon their installation. It verifies that they're the same or newer as the versions specified. If you included a modified version of tcpip.sys, the file will have a different checksum than the original. As a result, QFECheck will report that KB884020 isn't installed properly.

You can just download the hacked tcpip.sy_ from this thread. It's pre-compressed and ready to be put directly in i386. No, it won't interfere.

But didn't you just say it won't work because there's an update or something?

You said: IMO, this is kind of useless since there's already a critical update for SP2 which includes a version of tcpip.sys that postdates the RTM version.

QFECheck works by examining the file versions and checksum information provided to it by the registry entries all hotfixes create upon their installation. It verifies that they're the same or newer as the versions specified. If you included a modified version of tcpip.sys, the file will have a different checksum than the original. As a result, QFECheck will report that KB884020 isn't installed properly.

Gotcha.

So will that show up in Windows Update? Or just be mentioned in QFECheck?

And which one should I download? SiMoNsAyS version, or Alanoll version? (I have English WinXP SP2)

Gotcha.

So will that show up in Windows Update? Or just be mentioned in QFECheck?

Just QFECheck. Windows Update only checks for the presence of the registry entries, not the validity of the files described by them.

And which one should I download?  SiMoNsAyS version, or Alanoll version? (I have Englsih WinXP SP2)
Neither :lol:. SiMoNsAyS' version is from the original RTM version of the file (build 2180), and I've heard that hacking it for unlimited connections causes problems. Hold on a sec and I'll post a build 2505 version that's hacked for 100 connections and ready to be copied into i386.

Hold on a sec and I'll post a build 2505 version that's hacked for 100 connections and ready to be copied into i386.

Awesome, thanks in advance!

(Does this work for English XP-SP2?)

[Also, maybe you should include this in your Update Pack? Just an idea...]

I actually almost did include it, but ended up removing it prior to the initial release. My reasoning is that I don't want to include hacked files the user has no control over. With SFC_OS.dll, WFP still remains enabled unless they change the registry entry to disable it. For uxtheme.dll, the user won't notice a difference with everyday usage, only if they're using unsigned themes. However, users have no choice with tcpip.sys but to accept whatever changes it provides and no option for the default behavior.

And what version of XP do you think I'm using? :rolleyes:

Finally, the checksum of this modified file is 5c381. If you want QFECheck to report KB884020 as properly installed, edit the registry entry (which I gave in an earlier post in this thread) with that value.

For those coming to this thread looking for a quick download, this is a cab compressed (ready to put in the i386 folder of the XP CD) hacked version of tcpip.sys build 5.1.2600.2505 allowing for up to 100 simultaneous connections. It was made on a US English system, but as SiMoNsAyS said in his first post, it shouldn't matter since the file is language independent.

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/files/msfnforum/tcpip.sy_ (171KB)

First of all, thanks so much!! :thumbup:thumbup

Finally, the checksum of this modified file is 5c381. If you want QFECheck to report KB884020 as properly installed, edit the registry entry (which I gave in an earlier post in this thread) with that value.

Not to be rude, but I've searched through this thread and I don't know/see which reg entry you mean. Maybe you could repost?

also, when does this regtweak need to be applied? anytime?

Thanks again!!

[edit]

is there any way to test if the file has been 'properly' installed (how do i know if 100 connections are allowed on my system?)

Edited by a06lp