Language Bar

gamehead200

If there is more than one keyboard language in your language bar, it will stay on your taskbar until you manually exit it. If you want to stop it starting up completely, remove any keyboard language you don't want and leave the one you use on there. Then close the language bar.

If you only have one language installed - you could still get the language bar by enabling (or even installing) speech recongnition - usually with Word 2002 (Office XP). You can remove as follows:

Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.

On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click Details.

Under Installed services, click Voice Recognition under the language you are using, and then click Remove.

LS_Dragons

• 5 years later...

If you have any speech/alternative input options installed in an Office component, it will reappear after you run an Office repair. There must be another app similar (Acrobat maybe?) b/c I have removed every option like that I could find and it still happens from time to time on my system. And I only have 1 language installed!

Edited by Mordac85

What does procmon say (probably watching explorer.exe) when you choose the "do not show the language bar" settings in the language bar's properties? It's gotta set a flag somewhere in the registry or on the filesystem to disable that bar...

Open the group policy editor, and browse to User Configuration\Administrative Template\Windows

Components\Internet Explorer\ and set the option Change Language Settings to disabled.

Alternative method is to unregister the responsible DLL files:

Start > Run regsvr32.exe /u msimtf.dll

Start > Run regsvr32.exe /u msctf.dll

How the heck can I disable the language bar for good? Like get rid of it so it doesn't come back unless I need it. I've disabled it, but it keeps coming back...Any ideas?

Here's the thing.. Language bar already runs on default so you need to kill the process before you just import any registry settings that is ment to disable it.

i just add: taskkill /IM ctfmon.exe

then i just import a reg file with which among other things contain:

; Disable Language Bar

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"CTFMON.EXE"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF]

"Disable Thread Input Manager"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF\LangBar]

"ShowStatus"=dword:00000004

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF\MSUTB]

"ShowDeskBand"=dword:00000000

And this works brilliantly for me. i do this after first login, and run the registry tweak before and after.