Mozilla Firefox PR 1.0

troycicle

I know there's not a silent switch for Firefox. That's why I've decided to make a script. If anyone already has one made, please post it. I don't want the browser to launch after installation. If no body posts a script soon, I should have mine done.

Im also trying to tackle Firefox silently and getting it the way I want. Reading and deciding between these two methods:

SiMoNsAyS method

Automated Deployment of Firefox

So far the only thing I've done is unzipped the 1.0PR installer with 7-zip, replaced the original setup.exe with the one from Mozilla and edited config.ini for some options. This mostly works but I also wanna auto-install some extensions, my bookmarks and maybe theme or two.. Haven't messed with that part yet. ;)

Let me know what you find out please. :)

i will highly recommend my method (it's not trully my method it's just a resume of tips and tricks). try using mozilla installer together with jdoe's vbs scripts... but i won't recommend firefox PreRelease, it has a lot, and i mean a LOT of bugs. wait for final version (10/11/04)

ps: the link it's at my signature

Im also trying to tackle Firefox silently and getting it the way I want. Reading and deciding between these two methods:

SiMoNsAyS method

Automated Deployment of Firefox

So far the only thing I've done is unzipped the 1.0PR installer with 7-zip, replaced the original setup.exe with the one from Mozilla and edited config.ini for some options. This mostly works but I also wanna auto-install some extensions, my bookmarks and maybe  theme or two.. Haven't messed with that part yet. ;)

Let me know what you find out please.  :)

The second method seems to work perfectly for me, plus it includes all of my settings and extensions. Awesome.

@Rohaq of course it works perfectly but only if your profile it's in C:\ and if you are using the english version of XP so your %APPDATA% looks like \Application Data\ and not like mine \Datos de programa\ ;)

the guide i tried to do it's language and drive independant :P

I created one using "AUTOIT v3", excellent program.

I also made it go through and install all my favorite extentions, its a major time saver.

I will post a RAR file with the script for the Silent Install, the EXE for the silent install, as well as my script that installs all my extentions for anyone who wants to modify it to suit their needs. Don't worry, its only 84k not a large file.

One thing to note, the FireFox installation needs to be in the same directory as the silentfirefox.exe, and it NEEDS to be named: Firefox Setup 1.0PR.exe

EDIT:

One thing I forgot to mention. When you are writing your BATCH file, simply call SilentFireFox.exe and it will start Firefox Setup 1.0PR.exe by itself

FireFox.rar

Here is my script from AutoIT...

;

; AutoIt Version: 3.0

; Language: English

; Platform: Win9x/NT

; Version: 0.1

; Date: 18-Sept-2004

;

; Script Function:

; Install Firefox 1.0PR

;

Run("setup.exe")

WinWaitActive("Firefox Setup")

Send("{ENTER}")

WinWaitActive("Software License Agreement")

Send("{UP}{ENTER}")

WinWaitActive("Setup Type")

Send("{ENTER}")

WinWaitActive("Select Components")

Send("{ENTER}")

WinWaitActive("Install Complete")

Send("{TAB}{TAB}{SPACE}{ENTER}")

WinWaitClose("Install Complete")

; Finished!

Why bother with complex autoit scripts when you can install the extensions from the command line instead? (I really think something could go wrong with autoit here)

use the -install-global-extension command and it workw 100%.

(now if they could convert more than 2 of the 12 or so extensions I use so they work with v1, I'd be happy!)

@Nologic

To tell you the truth, I didn't know those functions existed! I am new to the AUTOIT language, and that was only my second script.

I will definitely try and integrate your recommendations into my own script though.

Thank you!

Yeah, the help file is a joke, but its definitely better than nothing.

That code definitely looks a lot more flexible than what I have, thats for sure!

hello i'm new here :)

i used the following .au3 file and it works great

Opt     ("SendKeyDelay", 1)
Opt     ("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)

run("setup.exe")

; Welcome Screen
WinWaitActive("Firefox Setup")
sleep           (2500)
Send("{ENTER}")

; License Agreement
WinWaitActive("Software License Agreement")
sleep           (250)
Send("{UP}{ENTER}")

; Installation Type
WinWaitActive("Setup Type")
sleep           (250)
Send("{down}{ENTER}")

; Install folder
WinWaitActive("Install Folder")
sleep           (250)
Send("{ENTER}")

; Components
sleep           (250)
Send("{down}{space}{ENTER}")

; shortcuts
WinWaitActive("Set Up Shortcuts")
sleep           (250)
Send("{space}{down}{space}{enter}")

;summary
sleep           (250)
Send("{ENTER}")

;Install complete
WinWaitActive("Install Complete")
Send("{space}{enter}")

; Exit Application
WinClose("Firefox")

Exit

It's the custom install without dekstop icon and quality feedback agent :)

install.exe

I don't beleive that you can only install 20 at a time. My really long AU3 file installs 24 without any problems.

So far its worked great, but I do plan on eliminating a script that is completely dependent on the extentions I already have.

If for some reason I have a funky version of Firefox and you should normally need to quit firefox after 20 extentions, you could always (I could be wrong, i don't have much experience with AUTOIT scripts, my ideas here are based on my knowledge of C++) make a loop that runs till 20, exits firefox, runs firefox again, and statrs up where it left off.

PSEUDOCODE EXAMPLE.

FOR (INT X=0, INT Y=0; X IS NOT EQUAL TO WHEN AUTOIT SAYS END.; X BECOMES X+1, Y BECOMES Y+1)

{

IF (Y IS LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO 20)

THEN INSTALL FIREFOX EXTENTIONS

ELSE IF (Y IS EQUAL 20)

CLOSE FIREFOX

Y GETS RESET TO 0

OPEN FIREFOX

}

AND THEN IT JUST CONTINUES ON ITS MERRY WAY.

Sorry if thats hard to read, it won't let me tab everything out like i wanted. I tried to color code it. I also tried to make it as simple to understand as possible. I tried to take out my C++ jargon.

Everything within the {brackets} is controlled by the FOR loop

The BLUE shows everything in the IF

The GREEN shows everything in the ELSE IF

I haven't had the time to study up on the AUTOIT scripts enough to know if this is actually possible, but it seems like a relatively straight foward concept

All this only matters if indeed, you actually can only install 20 at a time, which I don't beleive is true.

As for the feedback window, well, you have everything encapsulated within a while loop, correct? Well, simply simulate the user hitting ENTER everytime the while loop starts. Firefox doesn't seem to flip out when you hit ENTER when there is no dialog box, so it should work fine, and should eliminate the box when it shows up.

I haven't actually had this problem with the box, so I could be mistaken though.

You can do it relatively easily actually.

At least i think this should work without a problem.

$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

section of the unattended install disk. That way it'll run the first time the user logs on, and at the end of the BAT file, simply make it delete itself. That way it wo'nt run anymore.