Installing iTunes without QuickTime impossible?

Or, a little searching would have brought up this topic here on the forum : iTunes without Quicktime. If that is not the latest version, let me know and I'll update it in a few days when I get home from work (topic says ver 5, but has been updated to v6 a few months ago)

And yes, you need either quicktime official or alternative to run iTunes, and version 6+ wont install without it either (a problem I am sorta working on to fix when I have the time).

Edit:

@posix:

That was my version of iTunes you found, seems it is spreading further than msfn ;)

SP

Edited by seapagan

This is just about all the reason I need to continue using my ipaq for music playback instead of getting an ipod. What a load of crap this is. The outcry is deafening when Microsoft pulls a stunt like this. Curiously I hadn't heard a thing about this until a few months ago.

Have you tried to extract the files using winrar, then once the files are extracted then remove quicktime. then run the installer for itunes..

i know that's what i have to do just to get quicktime installed without having to install itunes.

This is just about all the reason I need to continue using my ipaq for music playback instead of getting an ipod. What a load of crap this is. The outcry is deafening when Microsoft pulls a stunt like this. Curiously I hadn't heard a thing about this until a few months ago.
Now sure what the reason is you are talking about - the fact that iTunes needs quicktime? I cant really see the problem with a company using the media playback routines that they developed in one of their own programs. QuickTime is not just a set of codecs remember, its a complete audio and video playback support package also. If that's all that is stopping you getting an iPod, you are missing out on a great piece of kit for no reason. I have both iPod and ipaq, and could not imagine using winCE's clunky interface over the iPod's wheel to play my music, not to mention the difference in storage capacities. Yes, QT is bloated and obtrusive, but the QT-Alt version is much better (and is exactly the same codecs and stuff, just cut down and tweaked).

Off topic slightly, I had a grope at the new 60Gb iPod video while passing through duty-free this morning ... drooooool! Screen is bigger, the pod is slightly wider but thinner ... guess I'll be getting myself one of them to replace my 40Gb Color one soon :D

@Sn4k36:

You can download a standalone version of the quicktime installer (without itunes) directly from apples site, the link is just not very obvious. Go Here to get it.

• 1 month later...