Registry Tweaks

Anyone notice that this registry setting doesn't work?

;Disable Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview]

The Windows Picture and Fax Viewer still pops up when I click on a picture to view it.

Also for this registry setting:

;Alphabetically sort Start Menu

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu2]

The item's in the Start Menu is only alaphetically sorted after Windows is formatted. As I install more applications, the Start Menu no longer sorts it automatically anymore. What gives?

Alphabetically sort Start Menu, you need to apply it each time you install or modify any items in the Start Menu. That means, whenever you see menu items is out of oder you need to re-apply the tweak. Therefore, its best to create a batch file called tweak.bat and tweak file called tweak.reg and put it in the Startup floder.

-Kenneth

Thanks for the information Kenneth, but I was wondering if you can tell me how to make that batch file and how do I apply it upon startup? Thanks.

These scripts are probably a little different from the ones kenneth11zz uses, but the end result should be the same.

If you have copied cmdow (you can download it here) to your system folder, try this:

@cmdow @ /HID
set KEY=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu
reg delete "%KEY%" /f
reg delete "%KEY%2" /f
exit

If you haven't got a copy of cmdow, I suggest using this instead:

@echo off
title Sorting Programs Menu
set KEY=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu
reg delete "%KEY%" /f
reg delete "%KEY%2" /f
exit

Call the script whatever.cmd and then place it in %userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. This will cause the script to run every time that you log in.

Please note that the set statement should all be on one line starting with "set" and ending with "Menu." The first and second script should be 5 and 6 lines, respectively.

This probably isn't helpful if the Registry_Tweaks.txt settings are being moved to the Unattended site, but there are a couple repeats I found in the doc.

"Unbundle Windows Messenger from Outlook Express" & "Do Not Start MS-Messenger with Outlook Express" both use the command "Hide Messenger=dword:00000002"

"Use inline autocomplete" & "Set autocomplete to full on" both use the command "Append Completion=yes"

This might be a real newbie question, but I don't see any other option then to ask you mates... I've almost finished my unattended XP SP2 CD but since this morning I keep bumping against the fact my auto logon doesn't work anymore. And like I said, this never happend untill now!? In my winnt.sif i use the following:

[GuiUnattended]EncryptedAdminPassword = No

AdminPassword = "12345678"

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=1

TimeZone = 110

OEMSkipRegional = 1

OemSkipWelcome = 1

And in my Tweak.reg I use this:

;Auto Login.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]"DefaultUserName"="Administrator"

"DefaultPassword"="12345678"

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

I hope you can help me cause I'm outta options... :no:

war59312, thnx for your reply.

I did what you said to do and it worked like it should, AutoLogonCount=5 makes me logon 5 times and after that Windows prompts me for my password... :(

This means the fault is in the register tweaks right? Would you please take a look at mine?

Tweaks.reg

I got a problem with logon tweaks.

this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
;-----  Set custom logon box
;"GinaDll"="custom msgina.dll file"

if enabled for the Ctrl+alt+del logon, i got an error when rebooting:

"The Logon User Interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace DLL or restore the original DLL."

as described in there, but my temp is not crypted since it is in a fat32 drive.

Nothing new with this one:

I have multiple yahoo id's and having to login everytime is a pain.

In the same vein as being able to search from the address bar directly, here's the key to be able to type your password into the address bar and directly login.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl\ym]
@="http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=www&.done=http://www.yahoo.com&login=_INSERT_YOUR_YAHOO_ID_HERE_&passwd=%s"

so type into address bar, "ym YOUR_YAHOO_ID_HERE password" and you're immediately logged in. you could also add manually a button into your browser that has both the login and password input-ed, so all u have to do is click on it and immediately login, but that seems a little un-safe to do.

war59312, thnx for your reply.

I did what you said to do and it worked like it should, AutoLogonCount=5 makes me logon 5 times and after that Windows prompts me for my password... :(

This means the fault is in the register tweaks right? Would you please take a look at mine?

Well take out the whole autologon part, that is:

AutoLogon=Yes

AutoLogonCount=1

Just get rid of it.

Now load your registry file via cmdlines.txt in your $OEM$ folder.

Like this:

[COMMANDS]

"REGEDIT /S Tweaks.reg"

Also change your reg file so it has:

;Auto Login.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"DefaultUserName"="Administrator"

"DefaultPassword"="12345678"

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

"ForceAutoLogon"="1"

Then it should work. :)

Nothing new with this one:

I have multiple yahoo id's and having to login everytime is a pain.

In the same vein as being able to search from the address bar directly, here's the key to be able to type your password into the address bar and directly login.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl\ym]
@="http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.src=www&.done=http://www.yahoo.com&login=_INSERT_YOUR_YAHOO_ID_HERE_&passwd=%s"

so type into address bar, "ym YOUR_YAHOO_ID_HERE password" and you're immediately logged in.  you could also add manually a button into your browser that has both the login and password input-ed, so all u have to do is click on it and immediately login,  but that seems a little un-safe to do.

I highly recommand you do not do that cause yea your right.

So instead use RoboForm or something like it.

Working great for me. Glad I discovered it a few years back seeing as I have about 4000 logins now with it. :)

And make sure to setup master pw.