ntfs.sys missing or corrupt in XP SP2

I have made my first XP SP2 unattended CD but fails on the first reboot. It comes back with:

Error loading c:\windows\system32\ntfs.sys - file is missing or corrupt. (Something along those lines)

This message appears just after it says 'Press any key to boot from CDROM...'

I have redownloaded the SP2 Update and applied it several times to make sure it wasn't corrupt and the ntfs.sys file is there.

I am using VirtualPC to test.

Is there a solution?

PS - I'd like to personally say well done to the people in this forum who make some great utilities to help make the Unattended CD's. I'm sure there are many others who appreciate the work they do too. Keep it up!

Thanks

try to do slipstreaming on a clean xp manually...

He's absolutley correct. You need to do the slipstream from a "virgin" XP cd. It can't be a CD that already had SP1 integrated into it. For some reason if you try to slipstream on a source that had SP1 integrated (or a few updates integrated) then that corrupt error occurs.

Paul

He's absolutley correct. You need to do the slipstream from a "virgin" XP cd. It can't be a CD that already had SP1 integrated into it. For some reason if you try to slipstream on a source that had SP1 integrated (or a few updates integrated) then that corrupt error occurs.

Paul

Not always. I've successfully slipstreamed SP2 onto an XP CD with SP1a integrated. What I wonder is if it has to do with being factory slipstreamed vs. manually slipstreamed, as the one I used was factory slipstreamed.

I am using an ntoskrnl.exe I used in SP1/SP1a. I'm also using the modified uxtheme.dll too.

Is it the ntoskrnl.exe file causing the problem? If so, is there a utility that will make the boot splash SP2 compatible?

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated. :D

I am using an ntoskrnl.exe I used in SP1/SP1a.  I'm also using the modified uxtheme.dll too.

Is it the ntoskrnl.exe file causing the problem?  If so, is there a utility that will make the boot splash SP2 compatible?

Thanks for the help, it's  much appreciated. :D

There is boot editor, or some other one someone posted. You'll need ot learn how to use the tools, or do it yourself. Otherwise, take out thekernel and all should be wel..

As for slipstreaming causing the problem, I have yet to see this in my factory slipstreamed or manually slipstreamed sources. If nothing else, you should slipstream on a pure XP source whether SP1 or not, but WITHOUT HOTFIXES.

Thanks to all who replied :thumbup . The problem was due to me using a modified ntoskrnl.exe file. Once I replaced it with the original, it continued setup no problem

I think there was an OEMkrnl method at one time? I'll have a dig around for it.

Thanks again

Paul

I haven't had any problem yet out of the one I am using right now, which is slipstreamed SP-2 over a M$ slipstreamed version of a SP-1 disk. I don't notice any file errors, then again, I am using the hacked files pack from this thread to do a number on my sfc_os, uxtheme, tcp_ip, and termsrv files, which the sfc_os one alone could be the reason I'm not seeing any errors.

I should mention when I did it, I used the SP-2 CD version that I got in the mail the day after it went up on the net to do the slipstreaming with. Used xpsp2.exe \integrate:x:\VRMPFPP_EN.

Edited by DisabledTrucker