How do you become a Microsoft Beta Tester?

mattking

A question which I am sure many people would like to know is how exactly do you become a beta tester and receive products which have been released to 10,000 users for testing e.g. office 11 which comes out soon?

And something else which surprises me is that sites hosting and speaking about betas say "Build 1105 leaked from Microsoft" etc.

!!!!!!!!!!! THESE BUILDS ARE NOT LEAKED !!!!!!!!!!!!

There is one way to tell this, if it was leaked then it would not have nicely been packaged into a windows installer setup file.

Microsoft release these unstable builds to us we then test them and reveal our findings on these sites which Microsoft will then view and attempt to fix the problems users find.

It is a much better way then just sending it to 10,000 users and getting limited feedback. Microsoft will deny this and attempt to remove it from sites but too late for it to spread. They then put problems in the software so that when the time comes you do upgrade.

Any comments would be appreciated on this matter and I would like someone to try to prove me wrong however the main question still remains how do you become a beta tester??????

• 2 weeks later...

<Is a Beta Tester for Microsoft...

But I lost my beta testin' key..so I cannot test..

There are 3 ways to become a BetaTester for M$:

-TechNet Program, M$ sends you package, after payin like $500...and it includes beta stuff...Example: Order it now, and get an Office 11 Beta Version in it...

-Survey

I took a survey, like 8 months ago, sent to me by email, and I got a key for beta testin DirectX 9, and .NET..

-Email

Send M$ and email, about yourself, your PC, and why you would like to beta test a product, and they will reply within 6-9,000,821 months..

:)

M$ requalified me for a beta tester with .NET products...check it out, if you wanna..

---------------------------------------------------------------------

**DO NOT REPLY – THIS E-MAIL IS BEING SENT TO YOU FROM AN UNMONITORED ACCOUNT. Due to Microsoft's security requirements, the hyperlink(s) contained in this e-mail may not automatically open your browser. If you experience any difficulty, please copy the link and paste into your browser. **

Kenny Has Ownage

E-mail: kenny_p@bellsouth.net

Beta ID: 489495

Dear Microsoft Beta Tester,

Welcome to the beta release of the .NET Framework 1.1 SDK.

The beta of the .NET Framework version 1.1 SDK and Redistributable is now available, along with the add-on to build and run VJ# applications. We encourage you to download these and provide us with feedback

The .NET Framework version 1.1 features improved scalability and performance; support for mobile device development with the ASP.NET Mobile Controls (formerly the Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit); support for Internet Protocol version 6; and classes in ADO.NET for native communication with ODBC and Oracle databases. It also enables the use of code access security to further lock down and isolate ASP.NET applications. We look forward to hearing about your experiences developing with and running this software

We will be providing support for the beta program through newsgroups and BetaPlace. BetaPlace is Microsoft’s technical beta web community where you can:

Download the beta release

Report bugs online

View status of your bugs

Receive up to date program information and downloads

Update your contact information

Obtain general beta testing guidelines and information

To access BetaPlace, go to http://www.betaplace.com. Sign in using your Beta ID and Password listed below. Be sure to keep this information on hand, as you will need to include it in all correspondence with the Microsoft Beta Group regarding your program, as well as to log on to BetaPlace.

BetaID: 489495

Password: ynf2cfr5jmo3md

Microsoft private newsgroups will be available for technical support. Private newsgroups are accessed from a dedicated news server and require a User ID and Password before giving you access.

To access the NNTP newsgroups you will need a newsreader program. The newsgroups can also be accessed via your Internet browser by connecting to http://webnews.microsoft.com. You will need to use the account information listed below to configure either newsgroup viewing option. More detailed information about accessing the newsgroups is available on BetaPlace. **NOTE: Please wait 24 hours from the time you receive this e-mail before trying to access the newsgroups and BetaPlace.**

All newsgroups for this beta program begin with: microsoft.beta.dotnet_sdk

Newsgroup Account Name: betanews9495

Password: ynf2cfr5jmo3md

News Server: betanews.microsoft.com

Access to this specific program page on BetaPlace and its newsgroups is limited to participants of this beta release. Microsoft will never request that you send your password information to us via email or any other method. We already have this information on file, and any attempt to obtain your password could indicate fraudulent activity and should be reported to us immediately via the email address below. Please do not share this account information beyond the scope of what is allowed under the License Agreement for this beta. In addition, please do not discuss this beta in newsgroups outside of this program, including other Microsoft newsgroups.

Before you continue, it is important to understand that the beta release of any product will not display the stability of a shipped Microsoft product. You may encounter problems with Microsoft the .NET Framework 1.1 SDK that could possibly result in a loss or destruction of data. This release is not appropriate for production use, and we suggest that you back up your existing data before you install and run this software.

If you need assistance, please send e-mail to vsbeta@microsoft.com. This e-mail alias is for administrative issues only and is unable to answer technical support questions.

Thank you for participating in this beta program. We look forward to your valuable feedback.

Visual Studio Beta Team

I dun like .NET and that crap..

So, the pass is urs...thats the point...

Its .NET Framework SDK, and some other crap...

Have fun...

(Dun worry bout me and mah passes) !!