Printer Sharing Problems

Ghostie

Help Please ! ! ! !

I have 2 XP computers and 2 Win2000 computers networked together. When I try to share a printer from one of the xp computers with all the others it shares fine with the other xp computer but when I try to add it to either of the win2000 computers it gives me - Error Access Denied - Does anyone have any idea how I can get around this without upgrading the win2000 computers to xp?

Thanks

Everything is set exactly the same on all machines. I guess I should have gone a step further in my explanation. If I take the same printer and put it on a win2000 machine all computers can share it. The problem is xp does not want to share anything with the win2000 computers. Oh and before someone says it no I can not leave the printer on one of the win2000 machines. No room for it.

i have windows 98, 2000, 95, and xp on our network.

they all use the hp laserjet 6000 on my xp workstation.

i have the specified protocols as i mention above and of course

i have the printer shared.

what type of logon and security settings do you have for your network?

If running XP SP2, try the following. May be that the way SP2 defaulted the file/printer sharing, you were hosed because user accounts are different..

Bring up a Explorer Window.

Go to Tools -> Folder Options

Go to the View Tab

Scroll down to the bottom and click the check box next to

Use Simple File Sharing

Click Apply.

This puts XP back to the way most people are used to for file/printer sharing.

My problem is using netbios ipx/spx to a Panther based computer while networking, I cannot see the Mac nor will the Mac see my XP based computers. Only way I can see the printers between my XP and Mac based computers is to put the XP machines in an unsecured simple file sharing mode, otherwise the Mac wont see the XP and XP wont see the Mac, is there any way of getting around this without having to resort to using a third party utility such as Dave? I thought that Panther was able to do Netbios IPX/SPX, is this not so? How else can I do it without having to share the printers using the unsecure Simple File Sharing? I only want to be able to share my files/printer behind the lan, not with the entire world, preferrably without having to purchase 3rd party software to do so. All XP based computers have SP2, I also have a trial copy of Server 2003, if I can somehow use the Apple transport off of it on the XP machines. All XP machines that need this capability are Professional versions.

It doesn't sound to me like a driver issue at all, more like you don't have rights to the $printer share. Try to access it, if you can't, then there's no way it can find/install the drivers for the printer. (most likely it will work from all your PCs but this one you're having problems with)