So is it worth replacing WMP9 with 10 then?

:lol:, I'm still personally torn betweening adding WMP10 to my install CD or flat out removing WMP from it entirely :P. I use the K-Lite Mega Codec pack, so all of the Windows Media codec and MPC are included with that, but only WMP can play DRM-protected content (last time I checked, anyway).

why do people use the kazaa lite codecs...in my experience, its never installed correctly...for some time now ive been using nimo (I believe thats the name...nimo.everwicked.com...cant remember...going looking in a few) and to me, thats the best codec pack out there...

Welll, nm then, nimo is done...no more releases

I really despise the KLCP...there are tons of users...assumingly someone has come across one that will support all files without problems...could someone point me in the right direction...

Zoom Player WMV pro can also play DRM'ed contents and is the best imho (at least for HTPCs) but unfortunately it's not free.

Codec packs wise, I'd stay away from the nimo codec pack, many issues with it and it's getting quite old, long time no updates. K-Lite can also do custom unattended installs and is very up to date and more torough. Much much better pack imho (although I still have to add several codecs after) K-Lite custom installs always went right for me.

why do people use the kazaa lite codecs...in my experience, its never installed correctly...

Well, if you want to talk about it a bit more you could try this forum, might have to

registrer tho, but thats the place where the guys make them K-Lite codecpacks.

(its also the original k-lite forum, i hope i dont get the boot because of the link)

;)

I've been using the MegaCodecPack for sometime and its

been working ok for me.

Atleast that codecpack has one extremely nice side of it, it is free and it doesnt come with any

crapware with it.

I think the main thing about codecpack is that it has to be pretty "fresh" to be able to play most

of the files, new codecs pops up like mushrooms in the rain.

:D

well, i must say, the last time i used the KLCP was back when it was first being made...and tried i think 3 releases, back to back (basically, i didnt try .01 then .09 then 2...it was like .01 .02 .03) and it messed things up...but it seems to include a lot more codecs now...maybe that will appease me...on an unrelated topic...what is a lolly? (check your sig)

Codec packs are bad for you.

I don't see the advantages to WMP10 > WMP9. Unless you really want to use the online music stores with DRM'd content at low quality and a bloated player. Better programs for ripping CDs, too.

Only good thing that I see about WMP10 is that they've included an updated version of Fraunhofer's professional MP3 encoder.

I use the KLite Mega Codec Pack and its worked great for me. Only time Ive had issues is a strange bug that only happens with VirtualPC (maybe VMWare too). It installs Media PLayer classic and the Real/Quicktime alternatives. Really helps for encoding video too. ;)

If you don't like either KLite or Nimo, here is another one that you might try. The Goridan Knot Codec Pack 1.7. Seems good and is made by the same person that makes a nice frontend for encoding DivX/XviD video. As you can see. Linky -> http://www.doom9.org/software.htm

I've installed WMP10 for testing purposes, and decided to avoid it in unattended XP installation.

WMP9 is too good for 10 :D

And I use it not very often - have WinAMP for MP3's and BSPlayer/WMP combination for watching DivX-es (depends if I am watching it on the PC or via TV (i've got Matrox G450 DualHead).

For the codec packs:

I am using FFDSHOW codec pack for about 1 year and I'm VERY satisfied with them.

It's constantly updated, it has NO "hidden features" like ***ware :D and till now I haven't seen a movie which it doesn't play :)

There's someone in China made another package called GreenMPC. By using MediaPlayerClassic's filter, that didn't need any REGSVR32 or install, just extract it that's all. No DirectShowFilter will be registered, totally transparent to system, it will not conflict with RealPlayer. As i know, it has XviD/DivX/RealMedia/QuickTime/VSFilter/VP6/VSSH/and more.

Sounds perfect for unattended install, but i have to associate media file type to MPC by using MPC's UI, or play by Drag&Drop.

I think the really important thing about Codec Packs is,

you have to uninstall the old version if you're updating,

and dont install several packs, stick to one and if it doesnt work,

uninstall and install another.

Same thing with Video card drivers, they do mess up stuff

if you keep throwing them on top of each other.

Lolly? Lollipop? Popsicle?

from dictionary.com:

popsicle,

n : ice cream or water ice on a small wooden stick; "in England a popsicle is called an ice lolly" [syn: ice lolly, lolly, lollipop]

I think it's a silly word, and I do have a foot long lolly.

B)

For the codec packs:

I am using FFDSHOW codec pack for about 1 year and I'm VERY satisfied with them.

It's constantly updated, it has NO "hidden features" like ***ware :D and till now I haven't seen a movie which it doesn't play :)

Actually, ffdshow is not a codec pack at all, it's a single codec, and I don't know how you can manage with just that... It's solely a video decoder, and for only a few formats. Codec pack wise and such, I yet have to come across one with spyware or such (no, I don't install the crappy DivX codec on my PC either). As is, your PC wouldn't play many, many movies, such as any movies with AC3 audio...