program ideas

This is my first post, and I'm doing so simply for support and suggestions. I'm working on a maintenance program that would do the following:

check for available ad-aware se & spybot 1.3 updates

checks for and installs the latest service pack (2K & XP)

deletes temporary internet files

disable system restore

scan for known viral and spyware related registry keys, files, and processes

checks for dcom vulnerability

integrates symantec virus removal tools

updates virus definitions

creates a scan log of objects deleted/removed/unable to be deleted

features planned:

check for ms04-011 vulnerability

check for available windows updates

check for application updates

This application still lacks a proper name, and it requires the .Net Framework. Any suggeststion would be highly appreciated.

Not to be rude or overly critical... but...

I don't see this being anything special... I think you'd be wasting your time... Of course, if you were doing it for the learning experience, I see nothing wrong with it, but if you're doing it to release to the public in hopes someone likes it... Don't hold your breath.

I mean think about all the programs that do what yours does already... I just don't see the need to reinvent the wheel... but that's up to you.

Also, most languages are not permutations of each other... Most languages differ considerably from each other... even Java and C++, which look very simillar, are VERY different.

check for available ad-aware se & spybot 1.3 updates=> built-in feature?

checks for and installs the latest service pack (2K & XP)==> WU

deletes temporary internet files==> many of utils to do this

disable system restore==> regtweak

scan for known viral and spyware related registry keys, files, and processes==> err... AV+ spyware scanner??? :unsure:

checks for dcom vulnerability==> no clue what you're talking about

integrates symantec virus removal tools==> so what are you saying?

updates virus definitions==> built-in... (AV)

creates a scan log of objects deleted/removed/unable to be deleted==> built-in...(AV)

features planned:

check for ms04-011 vulnerability==>WU

check for available windows updates==>WU

check for application updates==> depends what programs... There's the internet for... Some site like this one must exist in English too I suppose?

So I'm afraid it would indeed be waste of time...

I have read all of the comments, and I must say that I can understand how this can seem pointless. However, I am a student at a university, and a lot of students do not automate or run windows update like they should, nor run ad-aware, spybot, or their virus scanners. For clarification, the feature "disable system restore" is equivalent to turning off system restore and clearing all the restore points. This is necessary if a user has a virus, to prevent restoring a virus into existence again.

Also, the DCOM and MS0-0411 vulnerabilities are the targets for some of the worst viruses, and being that this application could check for and patch systems at risk, it could prevent widespread viruses on campus.

To prevent repeating myself, the purpose of this program is to provide an interface that somewhat includes the functionality of the spyware and virus scanning software, and keep it updated if it is not already. Believe me, I am aware of the uselessness of this program for people, for example, that post in this forum and visit this site regularly. However, most people are not so computer-savvy, and I myself still have a lot to learn in the world of programming.

So, again, thinking from a security standpoint of someone who doesn't know better, I need suggestions and feature ideas to help clean the computers of my fellow colleagues.

Also, I have two questions:

1) Which is better if at all - Visual Basic .Net or Visual Basic C++?

2) What would I use to program in C++ (not .Net C++)

Thanks all who respond.

@tap52384 you asked for a name... what about... THE TERMINATOR SHIELD! it looks good, doesn't :lol: ?? if you just want that app go ahead!! and good luck. sorry but i can't help u with programming languages :no:

PS: Terminator Shield..., Terminator... Shield,... :w00t:

• 4 weeks later...

Don't let the sideline critics get ya down. I think what you are doing is definately NOT a waste of time. Maybe some of the features you plan to incorporate are not as useful but with the start of most projects they tend to mature into something completely different from the intended project as you learn many things along the way. Keep at it :)