WinPE 1.5 with WMI Support

xcitmntaz

Does anyone know if WinPE 1.5 has been released yet(I have the SMS OSD FP beta, which is a customized verion of 1.5, but I was told by MS that if I wanted to enable WMI support, then I would have to get the OPK customizable version)? I know it is suppose to be in the SP2 OPK, and probably eventually in the Select CDs. I am really looking for the WMI support. Did anyone ever get WMI to work in the earlier versions of PE?

This is the SP2 RC2 version of the OPK and PE dated May 13th.

Been in training so I still haven't gotten any farther than building a hard-drive version of PE, but one of the bit things I was looking for is WMI support. Here's from the MKIMG.CMD file:

/WMI : Include Windows Management Infrastructure (WMI)

support for WinPE.

/NOWF : Disable Windows Firewall (which is usually loaded by

default in WinPE). Use this only if you run server

apps in WinPE, as client networking is unrestricted.

Note that disabling the firewall does not reduce

the WinPE image size.

So WMI support is optional in the base, as opposed to being part of BuildOptionalComponents.vbs as I would have predicted. And I like the Windows Firewall - now I won't get paranoid about my hard-drive-based PE getting infected.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if WinPE 1.5 has been released yet(I have the SMS OSD FP beta, which is a customized verion of 1.5, but I was told by MS that if I wanted to enable WMI support, then I would have to get the OPK customizable version)?  I know it is suppose to be in the SP2 OPK, and probably eventually in the Select CDs.  I am really looking for the WMI support.  Did anyone ever get WMI to work in the earlier versions of PE?

I'm curious about that myself...

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed strange things when I built a v1.2 CD using a slipstreamed SP2 install. (Diskpart wouldn't run for some reason).

Rumor has it, WinPE 2004 (v1.5) is available. I would ask your TAM or TSS (if you're an MS Enterprise customer)

Also, not only is WMI support available, but so is PnP.. It's just slow as molasses with it enabled ;)

DiskPart works for me on this end. Got a usable *desktop*. IE works. 64-256 MB ramdisk depending on the actual memory installed.

Since the SMS2003 deployment stuff has PE2004 (without the build tools) and the registry hives, is it possible to reverse a hive back in to an INF file for inclusion during the build process using the 1.2 build tools?

I have noticed strange things when I built a v1.2 CD using a slipstreamed SP2 install.  (Diskpart wouldn't run for some reason).

Gotta start a few services before running diskpart :)

net start dmserver
net start dmadmin
diskpart /s diskpart.cfg

Where did you end up getting it from? I know it is in the XP SP2 OPK, but has it made its way into the Select CDs yet? I have been hounding my TAM for a month and I haven't been given any useful information.

Where did you end up getting it from?  I know it is in the XP SP2 OPK, but has it made its way into the Select CDs yet?  I have been hounding my TAM for a month and I haven't been given any useful information.

I too have been hounding my tam and she told me last week or was it the week before that it was available via licensing download. It should be coming in the next license shipment or two.

Mike