signed driver problems with SP2

Ever since slipstreaming SP2, my video drivers aren't installing, and I'm left with the default Windows ones.

First of all, I know that the driver is good, and that the path is right, because it installed before. If I try to update the driver from the Device Manager, I get the following warning:

driver_warning.JPG

If I click past it, the driver installs fine. So I'm assuming that this is why it's not working via my winnt.sif. Am I missing something in there, or is there something else I need to do?

winnt.sif

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=1
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"
   AutomaticUpdates="yes"

[Unattended]
   UnattendSwitch="yes"
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   TargetPath=\WINNT
   Hibernation=no
   FileSystem=ConvertNTFS
   ExtendOEMPartition=1
   DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
   OEMPnPDriversPath="WINNT\Drivers\GX270\1Chipset\INF;WINNT\Drivers\GX270\2Network\Pro1000\WinXP;WINNT\Drivers\GX270\3Video\GeFor64;WINNT\Drivers\GX270\4Audio\ADI198x\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP;WINNT\Drivers\GX270\5Monitor\1901FP"

[WindowsFirewall]
   Profiles=WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]
   Mode=0

[IEPopupBlocker]
   AllowedSites=www.ebay.com

[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword=XXXXX
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   AutoLogon=Yes
   AutoLogonCount=1
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=35
   OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
   ProductID=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
   FullName=XXXXX
   OrgName=XXXXX
   ComputerName=XXXXX

[Display]
   BitsPerPel=16
   Xresolution=1280
   YResolution=1024
   Vrefresh=60
   AutoConfirm=1
   ConfigureAtLogon=1

[Components]
   msnexplr=off
   msmsgs=off
   Freecell=off
   Hearts=off
   Minesweeper=off
   Pinball=off
   Solitaire=off
   Spider=off
   ZoneGames=off

[TapiLocation]
   CountryCode=1
   AreaCode=717

[FavoritesEx]
   Title1=XXXXX
   URL1=XXXXX

[Branding]
   BrandIEUsingUnattended="Yes"

[SetupMgr]
   DistFolder=c:\winxp\I386
   DistShare=winxp$

[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=XXXXX

[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=No

[NetAdapters]
   Adapter1=params.Adapter1

[params.Adapter1]
   INFID=*

[NetClients]
   MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

[NetServices]
   MS_SERVER=params.MS_SERVER

[NetProtocols]
   MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]
   DNS=No
   DNSSuffixSearchOrder=XXXXX
   UseDomainNameDevolution=No
   EnableLMHosts=Yes
   AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]
   SpecificTo=Adapter1
   DHCP=No
   IPAddress=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
   SubnetMask=255.255.255.0
   DefaultGateway=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
   DNSServerSearchOrder=XXXXX
   WINS=Yes
   WinsServerList=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
   NetBIOSOptions=0

[GuiRunOnce]
   %systemdrive%\post.bat

Wher did u get

[Display]

AutoConfirm=1

ConfigureAtLogon=1

from??

I couldnt find this in ref.chm of SP2 deployment tools cab file.

I'm not sure. My whole setup started with using someone else's as a template, and I guess those lines were on there. I think those lines are needed for high resolution settings, like the ones I'm using, to keep Windows from reverting back (or something like that).

I've learned that Windows is using these two files as drivers:

nv4_mini.sys

nv4_disp.dll

And I found those two files inside of SP2.CAB. I'm sure that deleting SP2.CAB is a bad idea, but what about deleting those two files from inside of it? And if so, how do I repack the rest of the files as a CAB file? Do I just ZIP them and rename SP2.ZIP to SP2.CAB? Is it that simple, or do I need a special utility to compress a bunch of files into a CAB? I'd rather do it this way instead of nlite, because that screwed me up somehow.

jdeboeck's XP reduction batch files have the ability to decompress the driver cab files and combine them into one. Your best bet is still to have nLite do it for you, since driver.cab and sp2.cab both need to be decompressed, the nVidia driver files need to be deleted, references to the files need to be deleted from the proper XP setup files, then the drivers need to be recompressed into driver.cab.

Seriously, you're far better off (and less likely to run into problems) just letting nLite do it for you.

Well, I tried using nlite. I used it to remove display drivers, but nothing else -- I unchecked every other option. After it finished, I ran my installation again. Now I'm getting an error at the T-15 mark:

"Windows cannot load the Internet Configuration Library (ICFGNT.DLL)."

This was a fresh SP2 slipstream using nlite. Up until the removal of the display drivers, it had been working fine (save for the driver problem, of course). Now what do I do? :no:

this is from ref.chm from the SP2 deployment package:

If you are using DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore and you attempt to install a newer, unsigned copy of a driver that distributed with Windows XP or the Windows Server 2003 family, Setup installs the signed Windows XP driver instead of the unsigned drivers, in accordance with the ranking process used by the operating system.

maybe that's what's happening?

PS the only values used for [Display] are BitsPerPel, Vrefresh, Xresolution, and Yresolution.

and to create cab files use makecab, it's included in windows. try a google or makecab /?

Well, I tried using nlite. I used it to remove display drivers, but nothing else -- I unchecked every other option.  After it finished, I ran my installation again. Now I'm getting an error at the T-15 mark:

This was a fresh SP2 slipstream using nlite. Up until the removal of the display drivers, it had been working fine (save for the driver problem, of course). Now what do I do?  :no:

If I were you, I'd start a thread in the nLite forum so nuhi can answer directly. Odds are good it's just a missed setting or something.

this is from ref.chm from the SP2 deployment package:
If you are using DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore and you attempt to install a newer, unsigned copy of a driver that distributed with Windows XP or the Windows Server 2003 family, Setup installs the signed Windows XP driver instead of the unsigned drivers, in accordance with the ranking process used by the operating system.

maybe that's what's happening?

PS the only values used for [Display] are BitsPerPel, Vrefresh, Xresolution, and Yresolution.

and to create cab files use makecab, it's included in windows. try a google or makecab /?

That's not good news....

Well, I tried using nlite. I used it to remove display drivers, but nothing else -- I unchecked every other option.  After it finished, I ran my installation again. Now I'm getting an error at the T-15 mark:

This was a fresh SP2 slipstream using nlite. Up until the removal of the display drivers, it had been working fine (save for the driver problem, of course). Now what do I do?  :no:

I had the exact same problem when slipstreaming SP2 directly over an XP Volume Licence Edition (without SP1).

Then I first slipstreamed SP1a and then SP2 on top of it and I got rid of the problem. There are also 15 (!) files that are older if you slipstream SP2 directly over XP (without SP1). So there are issues with slipstreaming and I have an open call at M$ Germany. Hopefully there will be answers soon.

:realmad:

In the meantime:

- Slipstream SP1a first and then SP2 on top of it

- delete i386\sp1.* to save some space, it is not used anyway

:thumbup

In the meantime:

- Slipstream SP1a first and then SP2 on top of it

- delete i386\sp1.* to save some space, it is not used anyway

:thumbup

is it secure?? :o

Verified at two customers with XP Volume Licence Edition english and german.