New SP2 patch KB884020 update the tcpip.sys file

raindrop

And here's the deal:

TCPIP.SYS

359,040 bytes, version 5.1.2600.2505

Offset 130 (This is the checksum!)

FROM: 27 C3 05 00 TO: 1B C4 05 00 (<--- corrected checksum = 05c41bh)

offset 4F322

FROM: A0 00 00 00 TO: FE FF FF 00 (<--- unlimited connections)

So now you only need to Makecab and Expand.

Oh, and remember you got it first at MSFN!

No need to trust my releases. Do the above for yourself and your all done.

Thanks for your input Gaby!...

Indeed. One may opt to download the patcher from the afore mentioned site, or you can get the "ready-made" .sys here.

But keep this in mind...

- Certain people are experiencing TCPIP connectivity problems AFTER they installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.

- Microsoft have released a patch (their first SP2 patch) to correct this problem. (KB884020)

- This patch is ONLY for people experiencing this problem after applying SP2.

- The patch CANNOT be downloaded from M$ directly, you'll have to give them a call.

IF, and only IF you have installed this patch, and you still want (the much disputed) unlimited concurrent connections per port, then you may choose to use:

the TCPIP.SYS I posted

OR

use the patcher from http://www.lvllord.de/index2.htm

OR

patch your own.

TCPIP.SYS

offset 4F322

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

If anyone has the actual hotfix, not the contained .sys file, but the hotfix named WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe, I would be most grateful if they could email it to me. My email address is in my signature. Thanks!

and then pass it on to me. ;) I'd be grateful, too! PM me for my real email plz.

- Microsoft have released a patch (their first SP2 patch) to correct this problem. (KB884020)

The ONLY issues so far reported to have a problem with the original TCPIP.SYS are the ones that use the loopback addresses. There aren't many, and this patch is NOT intended for everyone. Blindly installing a patch you don't need is just plain stupid.

However, thanks enuffsaid for patching the file if anyone needs it. I would still direct people to the other patched TCPIP.SYS if you do NOT have the loopback problems.

patch your own.

TCPIP.SYS

offset 4F322

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

How can I patch my own? I mean how can I find those bits that need to be patched using Hex Workshop 4.2?

:)

Thanks for the patched DLL. I had asked about this a couple days ago (but I don't actually need the patch). It might still come in handy :)

@Anikan: if you can't make sense of the simple details posted by enuffsaid, perhaps you should just download the patched version instead. You got the offsets and the original/patched bytes... You can't ask for much more or simpler than that.

@Anikan: if you can't make sense of the simple details posted by enuffsaid, perhaps you should just download the patched version instead. You got the offsets and the original/patched bytes... You can't ask for much more or simpler than that.

crahak! I have never done this before but if you give me a little hint on how to do it I probably will find the way to do it

The ONLY issues so far reported to have a problem with the original TCPIP.SYS are the ones that use the loopback addresses. There aren't many, and this patch is NOT intended for everyone. Blindly installing a patch you don't need is just plain stupid.

That's why I said:

- This patch is ONLY for people experiencing this problem after applying SP2.
and
IF, and only IF you have installed this patch, and you still want (the much disputed) unlimited concurrent connections per port, then you may choose to use:

the TCPIP.SYS I posted

I think I gave everybody a fair warning. B)