XP SP2 makes XP Pro no longer Pro

zprog

I have WinXP Pro, and I just updated to XP SP2. Now whenever I boot my computer, the splash screen that before stated "Windows XP Professional" now only says "Windows XP". I was wondering if that was what happened to anybody else after installing XP SP2.

This is old news...  Everyone's is like this... ;)

Sorry about that. Didn't get a chance to read all the topics. Should have done that first.

I sure miss that "Professional" line, though.

Your installation is still Pro, go to System Properties to verify. I'm guessing Microsoft just removed all the tags as it means they can have ONE kernel and the same settings across all their XP system.

Accually, it has always been one kernel, the text was called based on what the version was; a separate picture is placed over the screen but it was still the same kernel for all the versions. The service pack 1 kernel was the same version for Home (retail, oem), Professional (retail, oem, corporate), Media Center (Professional with sp1 integrated), and Tablet PC (Professional with sp1 integrated). The only difference between them was the system properties dialog, Media Center and Tablet PC have a special version of sp1 integrated that searches for a special PID and installs their program files (not part of the kernel) service pack 2 includes some of these files when you slipstream with Professional. The kernel has always been the same for all the XP versions, it's been updated, but in each service pack it's been the same for all versions. :wacko:

yeah, but it's a few less function calls during startup to determin what picture to show. (My word choice before was....unwise. I knew they were one kernel, but it could just be easier for Microsoft to get rid of those tags anyway)