Annoyance with media files

goku21

Everytime I try to open a media file (mpeg, wmv, etc.), windows xp always pops up the "Open With" dialog box. This just recently started happening with the new installation of SP2.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Everytime I try to open a media file (mpeg, wmv, etc.), windows xp always pops up the "Open With" dialog box. This just recently started happening with the new installation of SP2.

What app do you use to play media files?

And do you have this problem only with video or also with music files?

Same trouble here. The only files it plays without asking is MS media formats.

What app do you use to play media files?

And do you have this problem only with video or also with music files?

I use WMP9 for my video files and Winamp for my audio.

This only happens with Video files.

I believe you need to remove the "LegacyDisable" reg key. Search for it with RegEdit.

I ran a search and found a s*** load of'em. Do I need to delete each one of them or is there a certain one I need to delete?

Did anyone resolve this issue?

Or any other tips?

I'm having the same problem, its only withj WMP, not winamp or any other application..

I did what greenmachine said to do and just went through and deleted every one that I found and it fixed my problem.

Open Windows Media Player -> Tools Menu -> Options... -> File Types Tab. From there you can check all the filetypes you want to open with windows medai player. That is of course if you use windows medai player to play your medai files.

Or you can do right click the file -> Open With -> Choose Program... -> Select the program to open the filetype with and check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

Open Windows Media Player -> Tools Menu -> Options... -> File Types Tab. From there you can check all the filetypes you want to open with windows medai player. That is of course if you use windows medai player to play your medai files.

Or you can do right click the file -> Open With -> Choose Program... -> Select the program to open the filetype with and check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"

WMP is set to play all media files except those not supported by it and MP3s for me. Everytime the "Open With" box popped up, I would always choose to open it WMP from now on, but that never fixed the issue before. The only was I fixed it was to delete every instance (though you probably don't have to) of LegacyDisable found in my registry.