device manager "question mark"

Blackwar

Hey,

i just installed win2k a few days ago , and i have kind of a question.. i installed all of my drivers and stuff, but there is this one thing left in the device manager that has a yellow question mark next to it and i can't figure out what it is..

anyone got any ideas?

devicem.jpg

devicem2.jpg

Well do you know what pice of harware it is refering 2?

If so delete the PcI Device and when prompted at startup for drivers, install them.

I think that should cover it.

-Drew

nope, have no idea what it is or might be..

i'll try what you said, thanks bro

Blackwar

i doubt its anything onboard as when i used my abit raid mobo it was a [censored] to install the drivers for the onboard raid and that just said "unknown device" so that has to be some pci card.

BW,it may be trying to find your onboard sound or other onboard devices(if your mobo has them)

Try this;

1. Enable the device in the Bios.

2. Boot into Windows.

3. Remove the device from the Device Manager

4. Restart the computer and enter the BIOS.

5. Disable whatever On-board device it was that caused the conflict.

6. Reboot.

I have had other device drivers not working or no driver installed and it was the modem's audio device.Check to see if the unimodem audio device is present in the sound,video and game controllers section of the device mngr.Also if you have a RAID MOBO and you are not using it disable it in the bios(in this case look in the SCSI and Raid controller branch to see if something showed up there as well).Sometimes the modem audio device drivers are located as an .inf file in a different location on your modem installation CD.It's pretty tedious working out yellow question marks but one of your devices(cards,peripherals,ide components)has another output driver.For example I installed the new video drivers for my Radeon DDR vivo and an other device question mark showed up,no matter how many ways I tried to install and reinstall.Finally I removed the Rage theater and MVD codec in the sound section and rebooted and new hardware was found and reinstalled the correct drivers.Always choose that you will look for the driver yourself and browse through each component installation CD.

well, i just tried to remove it and reboot, but that didn't work, it just showed up again as to "found a new device" , but i had to skip it again since i don't know what it might possibly be..

About the onboard, the only thing i have is my sound card, but the drivers for that are already installed..

Nothing is functioning improperly, i was just wondering what this device might be, just to let you all know :rolleyes:

zipp - i just checked, and there is already a "Unimodem Half-duplex Audio Device" so i don't think that can be it..

lets see, maybe i can figure this out :)

Thanks to all for your time, much appreciated

Blackwar

Is you system a custom build or did you get it from a manufacturer like Dell or Compaq etc. At my work place I have to support Dell computers and have noticed when re-installing Win2K that I am faced with the same problem as this.

I narrowed it down to one of the mobo drivers, have you checked that all your chipset drivers and stuff are installed. Some boards that have Promise controllers in for hard drives come up with the same question mark.

It is annoying I know but it may be worth just checking what features are on your mobo and seeing if all the drivers are installed.

HM

Well, i guess the problem is solved since i had to go back to XP, i was using the comp, and suddenly it went to a BSOD, then i couldn't boot into windows again for some reason, kept showing me the same screen :)

Anyway, thank you all for your time ..

Blackwar