Windows XP SP2 Slipstream Corrupt

I get the same exact problem. I don't have an original XP CD so I'm slipstreaming SP2 into a SP1 installation. Redone the slipstream countless times, SP2 installs just fine on its own so the download isn't corrupt. Tried Nero, Roxio, making an ISO and mounting it with VPC. Same problem.

Have you both tried checking if the original CD (from which you sourced the I386 for the update to SP2)?

Was it scratched or unreadable in any other way - in short, are you sure of the integrity of the CD you updated?

I have done the fallwoing. I took my already created unattended CD with SP1 and all applications on it and copy it to the HD. The CD worked fine no scratches nothing on it.

I then slipstreamed SP2 to my CD which apeared to work no error messages or anything.

I then created the ISO useing CDImage which again worked no erorr messages reported.

I loaded the ISO up in VMWare and thats when i get the NTFS.SYS file is missing or corrupt.

I repeated the process a couple of times thinking maybe something happened durring the copy but it all work.

So I thought ok maybe something is wrong once I copied my cd to the HD. So I took the fallowing steps

1.) Copied CD TO HD again

2.) Created ISO with CDIMAGE without SP2 slipstreamed

3.) Loaded it up in VMWare worked PERFECT

Ok then I thought maybe a problem with my downloaded SP2 package

So I readownlaoded it and I did the fallowing

1.) Copied CD to HD

2.) Renamed svcpack.inf because this one containted hotfixes.

3.) Slipstreamed the XPSP2 RTM

4.) Created ISO with CDIMAGE

5.) Loaded in in VMWare

And ARGH i'm back to same message with NTFS.SYS

Hey, I'm also getting the exact same problem. "ntfs.sys corrupt" I've burned I don't know how many cds, and done error checking, and mounted it in vmware.

I've started from scratch about 5 times now as well. SP2 seems to slipstream just fine. I've tried it with nlite and manually, and I get the same thing every time.

I am using the volume licensing cd we got from microsoft in oct 2002. It's labeled "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 1". I've copied the files to my HD so many times. I've been using that image for my unattended xp install for a long time, and everything has been working great until sp2 is integrated.

I'll keep doing stuff, but I hope somebody comes up with a solution.

ok. it worked now. I guess there is something in that sp1 cd from m$. very odd.

I did notice that cd with sp1 they gave us has a lot of the post sp1 updates as well, mabye it's that rollup package 1 disk. If so they didn't label it that!

Sorry if I can't help anybody that only has that sp1 cd, I don't know any other solution other than just using the plain old WinXP Pro disk.

I dug up the folder with all our Microsoft volume licence agreement cd's in it and did mine from 'gold' original disk.

As I remember some problem with the beta's and sp1 discs (not the ntfs problem).

Glad I am an admin for a school that has all these discs :rolleyes:

I always try and do the correct / Microsoft recomended way as it saves trouble shooting later.

Even though I have access to all their discs I still run Linux on the servers! :)

just wanna share my experience slipstreaming SP2 :rolleyes:

i have many problems and solved many since performing unattended for XP SP1 ... MSFN's a great site to be in your Favorites!

slipstreaming SP2, on the other hand, is tricky, especially if you have svcpack.inf in your compilation.

removing svcpack.inf enabled you to slipstream SP2 ..... but .... soon you'll get ntfs.sys is corrupted during setup.

after digging out my XP Corp. CD somewhere in my collection, i slipstreamed SP2 immediately onto it (bypassing SP1) ...

now i'm using VMware to perform a trial run on this new compilation :)

BTW, REMEMBER to copy our your winnt.sif (that's the unattended script file created by the setupmgr.exe in deploy.cab) ...

you can reuse winnt.sif created from SP1/RU1 compilation ... it's independent to the version (luckily!) ...

good luck on your slipstreaming!

*waiting patiently for MSFN's official SP2 thread and complete guide!!!*

n-joy! :D