the little picture in my computer...

Is there a way to change the picture through a XP uA CD? A regtweak, a .ini or a plane ol' batch file/command? :rolleyes:

you can try to modify the .cpl file, cab it and use modpe to pass over WFP... i guess

offtopic: nice avatar i really like gg dag too :)

Is there a way to change the picture through a XP uA CD? A regtweak, a .ini or a plane ol' batch file/command? :D

you can try to modify the .cpl file, cab it and use modpe to pass over WFP... i guess

offtopic: nice avatar i really like gg dag too :rolleyes:

OK... first thing's first. How do I "modpe" the "WFP"? And what are they? :) And where can I locate the .cpl in the XPCD since I want to make the pic be installed as the default My Computer/Properties pic. Do I cab it with a simple archiver such as WinRAR/StuffIt (I got those 2)?

modpe is a program which you need so you can modify the file in such a way that they will be accepted by setup. If you just modify the *.cpl with Resource Hacker, then compress it with CabPack or MakeCAB then setup will reject the file and you will have no System-applet (or setup could halt, which would be even worse...) Check out the links to see what to do...

Hint: http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/hacked_files.htm

modpe is a program which you need so you can modify the file in such a way that they will be accepted by setup. If you just modify the *.cpl with Resource Hacker, then compress it with CabPack or MakeCAB then setup will reject the file and you will have no System-applet (or setup could halt, which would be even worse...) Check out the links to see what to do...

Hint: http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/hacked_files.htm

:)

Looks like he was asking about this (the pic in my attachment).

Look for the pic under "Manufactured and Supported By:".

If so, that's pretty simple - read this section of the guide:

OEM Info

If not, that's OK as well - today we've learnt a new hack. :)

post-70-1092276021_thumb.png

@gabriel_buc ..  i use Resource Hacker too. What you do is that you first make a backup of the current sysdm.cpl in windows/system32 and you restart your computer and boot in to the Windows XP installation cd. When you reach the first prompt, press "R" for recovery console. When inside the console, you copy your new sysdm.cpl to the windows/system32 folder and overwrite the existing sysdm.cpl

Ok I tried and it works !!!! :lol:

10x zbeta...

Just a little add-on:

There is no need to boot into the WinXP installation CD. (Maybe some of does who read this topic don't have it ;) ~ I have it :P) Just press F8 during the boot sequence and enter Safe Mode with command Prompt. In the prompt copy&overwrite the original sysdm file with the modified one.

:blushing: ultra noob here so be nice :P if i edit something from the sytem32 folder in windows with res hack etc then add this to the $OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32 directorty on my custom cd that file be be insatlled automatically? :wacko:

thanks for this amzing forum!

edit just thought id mention the above link is not sp2 compatible yet but the author will release a working version soon i beleive

or maybe it is?

http://www.crystalxp.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=203

ultra noob here so be nice if i edit something from the sytem32 folder in windows with res hack etc then add this to the $OEM$\$$\SYSTEM32 directorty on my custom cd that file be be insatlled automatically?

thanks for this amzing forum!

edit just thought id mention the above link is not sp2 compatible yet but the author will release a working version soon i beleive

or maybe it is?

http://www.crystalxp.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=203

yes.

but if you modify any system like cpl, dll, exe, etc... you will need to use modifype mentioned above in xolox's post.

that will fool windows in to believing that your hacked file is the original. :)