Acrobat Reader 6 Lite & Fastest :D

Use crahak's tip:

Start the installer and look into %systemroot%\cache (ie c:\windows\cache in most cases). You'll get the extracted form in .msi format that installs a lot faster. Hope that helps too.
And my tip above.

After using both, you won't need nearly that much complication (just the /QB switch would be enough).

the first post in this thread, while it works with 6.0.2, it breaks OE being able to open attachments, does anyone know the fix for this? I would like to use the first post instead of installing ar6 because it does save space, while 15mb isnt a lot, its something...so please, anyone know what causes oe to be able to open pdf attachments, so I can add it to the reg file?

• 2 weeks later...
AR Speedup works, but it doesn't necessarily keep the plugins you do/don't want and such. It's quite easy to script as well.

Also, wheter you script it or use AR speedup, there's a lot more to be tweaked (registry entries).

Personally, I used a vb script to get the job done (it's a bit ugly but it works, some day i'll rewrite it clean if i get some free time).

Excellent code! I copied it to a "makereaderbehave.vbs" file and it really worked, without modifications.

I forgot to mention. It seems that most people are running the .exe installers to install the app which takes ages (the FEAD optimizer thingy). Start the installer and look into %systemroot%\cache (ie c:\windows\cache in most cases). You'll get the extracted form in .msi format that installs a lot faster. Hope that helps too.

I'd really like know who's responsible for making Adobe Reader ever more painful to install and use. Every version of this software has been bigger, fatter, and slower than its predecessor. Sure, features are great to have. But please Adobe, don't make my computer load 50 MB of crap unless I need it to view my pdf file.

And don't get me started on this FEAD "optimizer". *What* is it optimizing? Not install speed, that's for sure. :angry:

Anyway, thanks to all of you in this thread who have helped me make Adobe Reader install fast, load fast and then behave like I want it to. Great work!

:thumbup

And here's a tip which will speed it up (install) further:

1.  Copy away the directory crahak mentions, to somewhere else.

2.  Open a command window, and change to the directory you copied previously.

3.  Run the command "msiexec /A ---.MSI" (replace "---" with name of file).

4.  It will lead you through the process of making an administrative install point.

5.  Then SFX compress your Admin Install-point, and use it in the normal/known way.

Now, you have reduced the size of the installer, as well as the time taken to install it.

woot thats great :)

i tried this method, then i removed all the uneeded plugins from the admin-point then i edited the .MSI installer becuz i get missing files error, now i have a clean adobe pdf reader :)

bu i dont know what u mean with SFX compress?

i SFX compressed my adminpoint with winrar (7MB) but when i start the compressed file he ask me where to extract the files...but i wanna install and not just extract :)

how can i compress the admin-point without to extract ? just install :)

It's still not as fast as version 4.

I've never encountered a PDF than version 4 can't read. You can download it at http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=acrobat

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Acrobat Reader 4" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\apps\acrobat\setup.exe /s /f1"%systemdrive%\apps\acrobat\setup.iss"" /f

Here is the Adobe recommended way of disabling plug-ins. You can put it in cleanup.cmd:

move "%programfiles%\Adobe\Acrobat\Reader\plug_ins\*.*" "%programfiles%\Adobe\Acrobat\Reader\Optional"

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have read the whole thread and have tried all the switches. The closest I have come to instaling Reader 6.0.1 with a user account was by using the "/QB" switch. I do get an error of "You do not have sufficient privleges to complete this installation..."

Does anyone have an idea on how to install Reader 6.0.1 on a W2K Pro sysem in a WINNT domain via the users login script?

Thanks for your help and the all of the methods on how to get Reader to run lean and mean are WAY COOL!

how can i compress the admin-point without to extract ? just install :)
When making the SFX using winrar, go to the Advanced Options, and set it to extract silently with no dialog-boxes to where you want. Then run the setup from the extracted location.

Or, do this:

1. Paste the below code exactly as is into the "Comment" tab in winrar's "new Archive" dialog:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=.\%systemdrive%\install\Applications
SavePath
Silent=1
Overwrite=2

Just execute this file from CD with no switches, this step will extract files to where you want and keep it ready for install.

2. So now, if you compressed the entire folder and the folder's name was "AcroRead6", this is the command you would run to install it:

%systemdrive%\install\Applications\AcroRead6\reader6.msi /QB

There! That's done. Simple and fast. You should of course, change the paths and other file-names according to your own conditions.

---------------------------------

@pkducky

Acrobat Reader 6.0.1 and its update (6.0.2) installs without any such problem in similar conditions here....

What could be the cause of the problem?

You can only install programs when logged-in with Administrator privileges. Normal users can't install programs and such things. If this point is not valid in your case, check whether you slip-streamed SP4 into your win2k install-source. It updates the MSI installer slightly. AcroRead6 install might try to update the MSI installer if it is not already updated by SP4 - and to update this it wants more than just user account, it requires Admin-privileges again.

• 3 weeks later...

ok,

With the assumption that I'm not very good at this, let's pretend:

I'm staring at my downloaded Adobe 6 executable.

Now, I........???

Would it be possible for some kind soul to outline what I should do next to get a nice streamlined adobe PDF reader?

Thank you in advance....

Ran

ran, here's a simple set of steps if you're using english version of reader 6.02.

1. Download the installer simplified for unattended - http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/acroread602.exe (15 MB)

2. Put it in "$OEM$\$1\install\Applications\" folder on your CD.

3. Put this section in winnt.sif:

[GuiRunOnce]
  %systemdrive%\install\Applications\acroread602.exe

That's all. Make your CD, and you'll have it installed when you log-in first-time.

@vohinhlangtu

with your method, there is something missing...

because you use no installation there is no File Assocciation...

any1 knows how to REG this out?

I tried this method:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithList]
"a"="AcroRd32.exe"
"MRUList"="a"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithProgids]
"pdf_auto_file"=hex(0):

But I don't get the regular ICON (it's like a secondary ICON)...

any1 knows how to solve this (I know it's not exactly POST related)