Windows XP Pro installation Error

indianarchie

i have a problem while installing win XP pro...

i had sucessfully installed win XP pro over my existing WinME. then i found an error with notron antivirus 2003. i wasnt able to remove/reinstall NAV in XP. so i Uninstalled XP, went back to Win ME, and successfully removed NAV from there. then when i tried to reinstall xp using the same cd, i got an error given below...

FATAL ERROR

an error has been encountered that prevents setup from loading. setup failed to install the product catalogs. this is a fatal error. the setup log files should contain more information. press OK to view the setup log file.

on pressing OK, the setup log file contents are:

ERROR: the signature for Windows XP Professional is invalid. the error code is fffffdf0. the system cannot find the message text for message number 0xfffffdf0 in the mesage file for syssetup.dll.

on clicking the close button, system reboots. i am unable to install XP.

i would like to know what the error is, and how to solve it. also, is it a problem with the cd? i used the same cd to install it the first time, and it is undamaged.

please help! i want to start using XP ASAP!

If you have any important files I would back up your machine before you do anything else.

Did you ever run the Upgrade Advisor from the cd or the microsoft website?

You should have ran that first, it will tell you wheather or not your system is ready to upgrade to XP Pro. If it is not it will list the software/hardware that needs to be updated and will retrive those updates for you (most of them).

If you still have errors occuring your best bet is to format and install fresh.

yeah..i had run the upgrade advisor the first time i installed xp...i carried out the steps given there. however i dont think i need to run it the second time(when install failed) coz i havnt made any changes in my system apart from removing norton antivirus. could u tell me if it is necessary to do so?

also , i dont want to take a risk of losing files by doing a clean install....who knows if midway thru the install, there might be an error..can i safely go back to my prev OS without losing anything?

pleses guide me on this..i hav been getting frequent crahes on win ME (which im using) ...i want to upgrade to XP soon as possible!

and all of you who posted ur replies...thanks a ton for your help!

Take your important files and back them up to a cd or another patition/HDD. Then do a clean install, I honestly have never heard of anyone upgrading the same installation twice. I am not suprised by the errors.

Take your important files and back them up to a cd or another patition/HDD. Then do a clean install, I honestly have never heard of anyone upgrading the same installation twice. I am not suprised by the errors.

well..u havnt heard of me either...i do all kinds of stupid things.. :)

pls help!