A mega easy to get the CDROM variable set

Here is how:

SET CDROM=%CD:~0,2%

That's it.

Do this at the top of any .CMD file(s) that run from the install CD.

:)

To find out how this works, start a CMD.EXE session and type SET /?

this will only work from CMDLINES.TXT if the CMD file is on CD

From reading the many post here, that is what most people want it for.

e.g. setting RunOnce keys and the like.

some people also use a normal batch file with ECHO commands to tell them what's going on (the "basic" method, where as RunOnceEX is the "advanced" method) and so they use GUIRunOnce. Thought i should post that it won't there as expected so they don't complain later on. :)

Though this does simplify all those IF EXIST lines for people using CMDLINES.TXT to install something from ONE cd. :rolleyes: It won't work with two CDs if they are in different drives however. (I'm just listing possibilities that people may try to use this with)

Guest zippy

1 thread/per month about sharing %CDROM%...

%CD%, %0, SourcePath...etc... depends on how/where you use it...

%CD% is your Current Directory, and since the RunOnceEx file will be run off the CD (Compact Disk this time :rolleyes:) the drive letter of the %CD% will be the CD. So.. what that command does, is to pull out the two first letters from the %CD% variable, so that if %CD% for instance is

"F:\$OEM$", then %CD:~0,2% will return "F:" only. (0,2 means begin at position 0 and read the next two letters. 2,6 would return "\$OEM$", if you understand? :))

0,2 means begin at position 0 and read the next two letters. 2,6 would return "\$OEM$", if you understand? :))

Cool, thx! :rolleyes:

Sure I understand ... but what I didn't know just seconds ago is that syntax. Haven't seen it before and didn't know it exists. Thx again! :D

Sure I understand ... but what I didn't know just seconds ago is that syntax. Haven't seen it before and didn't know it exists. Thx again!
Oh good, at least my post was some use to somebody :)
To find out how this works, start a CMD.EXE session and type SET /?

That's a good find, Tim. And thanks for sharing it, too! Sorry about the people giving you a hassle for posting something interesting. They're just jealous of you, as they probably never have something to contribute themselfves. :)

Plenty people are grateful!

Thanks!

eNuffSaid

EDIT: Typos