Spyware Removal Tools compared

well not a good article

as said on the comments sections its done as if a 5 year old kid made a comparison

comparison by number? peh..

at least compare the number of definitions they have...

he himself says that spysweeper identifies all the files cookies etc as separete traces whereas other programs identify like ones as branches of each other.

also there are 3-4 more spyware programs that should have been included. he says he was going to compare only 2 of them in the beginning then he said it'd be unfair for the others. well how about the 4 ones u missed?

why start a task if u're going to leave it at 50%?

poorly done.

• 2 weeks later...

because all of them are unneeded, 50% of the programs are just rip offs off the good 1's

all i need is Adaware & Spyware Blaster . i dont download any programs that'd contain spyware, so spyware blaster does all i need by stopping dialer prompts

regards

• 3 weeks later...

PC Magazine reviews the Spyware removers. Even the best of them remove only about 57% of the Spyware. None of them are anywhere near as effective as the worst antivirus program is at dealing with viruses. You simply must run more than one if you deal with cleaning up other people's computers. I have seen many cases where even two or three of the best Spyware remover programs could not clean the computer completely and further manual cleaning was required. YMMV

The other issue is managability..

Many of them (most) are not managable, but a few are, like pest patrol and supposedly the new Ad-aware.

Spybot is easily installed and updated, scriptable

SpySweeper has a good UI and is probably more 'user friendly' than even Ad-aware is

I haven't looked at McAfee's tool yet, but I like having a 'real' company that has experience in dealing with corporate environments, quick responses to threats, and an image to maintain. It may not be the best today, but it will be close in the next few versions.