Dissabling MSN and MSN Messanger

arucard

Hello, i was wondering if someone knew of a way for me to dissable MSN and MSN Messanger on my sisters computer (temporary). it would be nice if it was a hidden app or something like that... i want to make it possable so she cannot download it, install it, remove it, or use it. If anyone knows of a solution that would be grate!

if you are wondering why, it is because she was a "bad girl" and is going to be punished.

if i dont find a way around this, my dad is going to dissable the internet all togeather! :rolleyes:

the computer that she is running is a win 98 box...

if someone knows of a better place to put this thread, plz tell me.

thanks for all of your help! :)

from within IE (or whatever browser u use) cant u block anything like

*.messenger

*.hotmail

*.SetupDL.exe (i think thats the filename messenger has)

regards

You can block much with 98.... Unless you setup a firewall between her pc and the internet, then anything you do on the 98 machine can be got around, - depending on how clever your sis is....

:)

The best bet would be to upgrade to 2k or XP.... then assign her rights to the machine....

Hope this helps...

I would try and install a firewall and add the Msn and Hotmail sites to the block list. Or you can use IE and out the following into the Restricted Sites list:

Tools > Internet Options > Security > Restricted Sites

Click on Sites... then add the list below, and more if you want.

*.messenger.msn.com

*.www.hotmail.com

*.hotmail.com

*.msn.com

A firewall would be the best option.

Be sure to lock out (password) the firewall configuration interface, otherwise your configuration will be easily bypassed. Also, make sure that your firewall can be installed as a service, so it will be harder to circumvent.

The next best option would be to to use another PC as a gateway to the Internet and control the settings and firewalling on the gateway PC. Secure passwords should be used on any options you consider.

Even that IE option would be good. After all there are reg tweaks to remove the "Reset Internet Options..." and the "Internet Options..." from the Tools menu.

Outpost Pro ( www.agnitum.com ) would be a good firewall to use to control the access. You can set it up to block Msn Messenger from connecting to the net, so even if she downloads it and installs it, you can still make sure she never gets online with it.

Norton is pretty buggy, but I know the free ZoneAlarm firewall stops applications from accessing the internet and is password protected. Outpost Pro offers a lot more security in blocking applications in my opinion, and it too has password protection.