[Help] - Installing Mustek 1200 ED scanner

mike13

Hi, I know there are no drivers by Mustek for their 1200 ED scanner that work with Windows XP Pro. However on their site, they give info. on how to make it work. I need to edit the registry, install the Windows 2000 driver, then change the regisrty back to the way it was.

My question is what is the exact sequence ? Do I edit the registry first, install the Windows 2000 driver(I already have it downloaded to my desktop), turn the computer off, plug in the scanner, turn computer back on, change registry back etc ?? What is the exact sequence please ?? Thanks, Mike

Well,

as it says on their site here : http://mustek.com/Download/driv_scanr/engl...english-xp.html ,

it says :

*Start menu run program "Regedit.exe".

in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

rename the key "ProductName" from "Microsoft Windows XP" to "Microsoft Windows 2000".

* Install the Mustek driver for Windows 2000.

* Undo the changes in the Registry, when you have finished the scanner driver installation.

so you need to do it in that order :)

Blackwar

Hi Blackwar,

I understood that part . I just was not sure when I was supposed to plug in the scanner, or if I could reboot the computer (as it told me to do) before changing the registry back. The scanner now works, and the computer still boots properly, so I guess I did it ok.

Mike

Hi Blackwar,

I understood that part .  I just was not sure when I was supposed to plug in the scanner, or if I could reboot the computer (as it told me to do) before changing the registry back.  The scanner now works, and the computer still boots properly, so I guess I did it ok.

Mike

well, my guess is you keep the scanner plugged in at all times :)

glad to hear it works tho :rolleyes:

Blackwar

Thats very poor on the maker of the scanners behalf. You shouldn't be messing with the registry really for the scanner. Possibly an e-mail or letter of complaint would be in order, i would do that. This is a very unothadox idea to do...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...