Doing a selective install in an unattended XPCD

Hi all,

I have been looking at ways to do a selective install of applications in an unattended XPCD.

So far, I have seen 3 approaches...

install vbs/exe

Windows Post Install Wizard

XPlode

I have only focused at install.exe by IcemanND because I find it the most convinient for newbies like me to add entries. I find other approach to be somewhat complex. :)

But I have a couple of problem with this install.exe... It seems that the install.exe has problems waiting for installation of apps to finish before proceeding with the next. So, what I have done so far was instead of directly calling silent installs within install.exe, what i did was to simply call registry entries instead to be added at runonceex. The problem is that, install.exe fails running properly at the t-13-installation point.

I wonder how could i make a workaround for this, or otherwise, find a better/similar methods to this install.exe.

I hope you wont find my post confusing. Thanks in advanced for all your help. :rolleyes:

well hm

they are 2 different things

xplode works during the setup as well as iceman's install

post install is meant to work after the setup

I think most ppl have prefered xplode as far as I can see on the front page there is no install vbs/exe sub-forum but nlite/xplode/xpcreate

so u tell me.. :)

hi XtremeMaC, :rolleyes:

i have tried invoking install.exe during setup (t-13 portion, called off via cmdlines.txt). it ran during the t-13 portion, but when i click on "install", it failed to execute further. :D

i am still trying the install.vbs option and run it at the t-13 portion of setup and see if it will work with me.

as for xplode, i really dunno where to start with the approach. :) i would like to know also if what part during the xp-setup can this be run from or recommended to be run from (would also like to know the same about install.exe)?

XPlode has been tested at T-13, T-12 and T-9, all seem to work fine, providing you've set up the files correctly.

XPdeploy was created as a selective version of XPlode, and is currently in a prolonged testing phase - I am starting my exam period, so no time to work on them for about a month.

Personally, I use XPCREATE to master the CD, and run XPlode/XPdeploy off a share on the fileserver on my network, but in general, people have had little problems getting XPlode to run off the CD.

hmm, tried playing with xpdeploy... and i like it... now, if only i could find ways to disable the display of thumbnail icons at the left portion of every application being installed.

i would like to ask a similar question though. since my main goal for a selective install was to load registry entries of apps being chosen to be placed at runonceex... i would like to know if xpdeploy can run as early as the t-39 stage in the detachedprogram? thanks :)

lol Wraith implemented the thumbnail option so that it looks nice

that's what u get Wraith :)

guess u need to put an option for thumbnail on|off :rolleyes:

btw for your info i'm running xplode off the cd no problems so far!!!

After I finish exams the whole renderer will be rewritten.

Think completely customisable HTML/CSS interface.

Should be.... interesting ;-)

As for T-39, I doubt XPdeploy would run, due to the fact that it embeds IE into the window. As far as I know, at that point, IE isn't even installed, so it probably wouldn't run.

Adding registry items at that point may not work either, I don't know if the initial registries are written properly. I know the hives are loaded at the end of text-mode, but as for whether programs can access it yet, I've no idea.

I should point out though, I'm guessing here, so if you can prove otherwise, do so.

I've found another one!

I think I'll use this one from now...

XPES

I know there's still another one.. from IcemanND, but it was never fully completed, still some bugs...

i've initially tried icemandND's install.exe utility. but it has a couple of limitations that impacts the way my application installs. :)

thanks for the link on XPES, but it seems the program has been stalled for some time already.. :rolleyes: it looks great, has potential, but i find some functionality to be restricted.

Yes that is true! :)

XP-ES is a nice additive tool for unattended Windows XP installations.

And for me with distance the best and easy to use too, which I found so far here.

In and case it should be taken up into the list of the

Sticky: Threads OF Interest - Software Installation Selection

I have been looking at ways to do a selective install of applications in an unattended XPCD.

So far, I have seen 3 approaches...

Here's the fourth one - batch files with yes/no choice.

@echo off
TITLE Software Installation

:POWERTOY
SET Choice=
SET /P Choice=Install TweakUI 2.10 Powertoy [y/n]?
IF NOT '%Choice%'=='' SET Choice=%Choice:~0,1%
IF /I '%Choice%'=='n' goto :NERO
IF /I '%Choice%'=='y' (
ECHO Installing TweakUI 2.10 Powertoy
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\TweakUI.msi /qn
ECHO. ) else goto :POWERTOY

:NERO

SET Choice=
SET /P Choice=Install Nero Burning ROM v5.5.10.54 [y/n]?
IF NOT '%Choice%'=='' SET Choice=%Choice:~0,1%
IF /I '%Choice%'=='n' Goto :EXIT
IF /I '%Choice%'=='y' (
ECHO Installing Nero Burning ROM v5.5.10.54
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\Nero551054.exe /silent /noreboot
ECHO.) else goto :NERO

:EXIT
EXIT

No GUI, user input is required for every app, but pretty reliable ;-)