InstallRite

I use or try to make silent installs with InstallRite but it records all kinda stupid stuff like clearing MRU and more windows operations while i monitor an install.

Isn't there another cool soft like this one :) that makes absolute snapshots and makes an install kit afterwards?

This one is pretty cool u can make silent for anything like Agnitum Outpost Firewall wich is my current operation but i would like to know and try some more and i'm sure more users would too -- 10x in advance.

have you tried just deleting from the snapshot the stuff you don't want? Then your custom installer wont have it either.
That's, of course, one possibility.
Isn't there another cool soft like this one  that makes absolute snapshots and makes an install kit afterwards?

Just try "WinInstall LE" (Light Edition). It works similar, snapshot and so on. I read something about that tool on the board. Just search for it and you'll find it.

InstallRite works great with most programs.  Only ones I have problems with are games over 1GB.  Handles Office well also.

Using InstallRite for Office seems like a bad idea. Office has its own custom installer tools. That would seem to be the best way to go.

But to each his own.

From my previous experiences with InstallRite (Version 2.5c) and other setup capturing utilities, I'd like to tell you something:

1- I can't rely on them completely for creating installation kits. So, I should always need to repackage a captured program manually and from scratch.

2- I use them only, I say only, to gather all information needed for manual repackaging.

3- I can, safely, rely on them to create installation kits for little programs, like Ad-aware, which has about 20 files or less, all in one location.

For InstallRite, there's a severe limitation on the number of directories you can ignore during a capture process. By default, it ignores nothing, but you can add directories to ignore. The number is limited to 20 directories only!

For WinINSTALL LE (free, too), 85 directories and file types + 251 registry keys are ignored by default. Still, you can add more, yourself!

However, I won't talk about WinINSTALL on a thread dedicated to InstallRite. But I can share some of my experience with InstallRite, so you can benefit.

An easier method to add directories to your ignore list is to create a reg file and put the 20 directories in it in the format shown below. Following is a registry file that adds suggested 13 directories to the ignore list along with some good settings. You can complete the list to 20 if you wish.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Epsilon Squared\IW Engine\Settings]
"ShowHelpOnStartup"="FALSE"
"RunInStartup"="FALSE"
"RunInSystemTray"="TRUE"
"DisplayFileSizeInK"="TRUE"
"DetectSetupPrograms"="FALSE"
"Texture"="(none)"
"FilePatternToIgnore_00"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator\\Cookies"
"FilePatternToIgnore_01"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator\\Favorites"
"FilePatternToIgnore_02"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator\\Local Settings\\History"
"FilePatternToIgnore_03"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator\\Local Settings\\Temp"
"FilePatternToIgnore_04"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Administrator\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files"
"FilePatternToIgnore_05"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Favorites"
"FilePatternToIgnore_06"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Default User\\Cookies"
"FilePatternToIgnore_07"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Default User\\Favorites"
"FilePatternToIgnore_08"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Default User\\Local Settings\\History"
"FilePatternToIgnore_09"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Default User\\Local Settings\\Temp"
"FilePatternToIgnore_10"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Default User\\Local Settings\\Temporary Internet Files"
"FilePatternToIgnore_11"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\Default User\\Recent"
"FilePatternToIgnore_12"="C:\\WINDOWS\\Temp"

A last word, open your task manager before capturing and close all applications running in the background.

10x guys the thing is i'm not shure of what i'm sure :rolleyes: and i'm not sure about any tweaks i extract with InstallRite except the ones that ussually do it in a dword.

As for installs i'm very confused on what i should keep and what not (i estimate i know 90% of what to keep and what to delete but some programs are sensitive and mess up at the first mistake i do) besides i don't want an install kit to go on deleting inexistent MRUs and modifing regs as the snapshoter saw fit. Oh well i'll excuse my noobieness this time for not knowing how to repack exactly manualy(i never tried it) :):D

P.S. thanks for the info on WinInstall LE i'll look into it as soon as i can find it:)

...and yes i looked over on those in the site but i just don't like to tangle upanymore my head hurts already cuz of the brand-new-shiny-information i pierced through my skull since i came here :D they are kinda messy and require specific scripting(AutoIt i think)

InstallRite works great with most programs.  Only ones I have problems with are games over 1GB.  Handles Office well also.

Using InstallRite for Office seems like a bad idea. Office has its own custom installer tools. That would seem to be the best way to go.

But to each his own.

I've used the Office Reource Kit. I was trying InstallRite out to see if it would work, which it does.