IntelliPoint 5.0 Question

pinout

Trying to figure out how to silently install the IntelliPoint 5.0 software...

Downloaded from here

Only information I could find was here at AppDeploy.com

You extract the files from the EXE and run OEMSETUP.EXE with an OEMSETUP.INI, this works, but it launches a second process (setup.exe), so using START /WAIT is pretty useless.

Anyone have another method for installing this?

Not for sure this will work but I took out the condition that disallows \IP5_0ENG\IPoint\SETUP\IP5.msi to run independently by itself. So now you can just use the .msi with the /qn or /qb switch. I can't upload it here cause it's too big. If you want to give it a shot PM me and I will send it to you somehow.

no that msi file is pretty annoying

it says it won't work if the setup.exe is not launched

and the setup.exe in that folder, when u launch it, it says it will not work unless u start the setup.exe on the folder 1 level above.

i've tried many things but didn't really look for the launch conditions of the msi

someone could probably figure it out

either

go get devstudio / adminstudio

or

wininstallLe etc...

Okay, I used WinINSTALL LE to remove the Launch Condition "Installed OR MM" ("The file you are trying to open is part of Microsoft IntelliPoint Setup. To run Microsoft IntelliPoint Setup, double-click Setup.exe in the root directory.")

But now when I run the MSI I get "Error 1406.Could not write to value Model to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\IntelliPoint. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Is there something else I am supposed to modify/remove?

There are additional registry keys that needs to be configured and imported when modifying the msi file with WinInstall LE. You need to specify the language settings (English by default), the type of hardware (a number that identifies what type of mouse or keyboard you are using).

The best way to go about configuring it is to first install the Intellitype software and then export all the registry settings for Intellitype under HKCU and HKLM. Once that is done, all you have to do is to remove the install condition and also create the necessary registry keys that are created when you install the Intelli software. Also make sure that the language and hardware settings are specified correctly.

I have used this method with great success and have no problems installing the intelli software in my unattended setup.

i'll try to play with the msi and post my results here

btw i'm sure intelli software checks the hardware id's (that's obvious!)

for that reason u wouldn't be able to use a logitech mouse with ms software??? and to me it sounds very awkward, anyways

if u want to use 2 mouse software u could have a cdshell file to boot and ask ppl which type of mouse they use and from there u can install the according software I believe..

Okay, I used WinINSTALL LE to remove the Launch Condition "Installed OR MM" ("The file you are trying to open is part of Microsoft IntelliPoint Setup. To run Microsoft IntelliPoint Setup, double-click Setup.exe in the root directory.")

But now when I run the MSI I get "Error 1406.Could not write to value Model to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\IntelliPoint. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Where it says could not write value Model to key...

It is trying to write the mouse model, as selected in the dialog, to the registry.

This needs to be set (its a property set via a custom action.)

Here at work, most of our systems use the same model mouse, so I just pre set it in a transform.

but here are the values I pulled out of the MSI for various models:

Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 (With Tilt Wheel) = 16

Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 (With Tilt Wheel) =15

IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 (With Tilt Wheel) = 14

Basic Optical Mouse = 13

* No 12 listed *

Optical Mouse = 11

Wireless Optical Mouse = 10

Wireless Wheel Mouse = 9

Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer = 8

Wheel Mouse Optical = 7

Trackball Optical = 6

Trackball Explorer = 5

IntelliMouse Web = 4

IntelliMouse Optical = 3

IntelliMouse Explorer = 2

Microsoft Mouse = 1

IntelliMouse = 0

This HAS to be set.

Now I said I added it into a transform, but you could probably just add a public property for it to the property table of the MSI, that would allow you to set it from the command line. The property MM is being set via a custom action right now, but there shoudn't be any reason you couldn't add MM to the property table, then just add that as a commandline option like so:

IP50.msi MM=3 (This probably wouldn't work by default, you would have to modify the property table.)

Let me know if you need more help.

Where it says could not write value Model to key...

It is trying to write the mouse model, as selected in the dialog, to the registry.

This needs to be set (its a property set via a custom action.)

Here at work, most of our systems use the same model mouse, so I just pre set it in a transform.

but here are the values I pulled out of the MSI for various models:

Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 (With Tilt Wheel) = 16

Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 (With Tilt Wheel) =15

IntelliMouse Explorer 4.0 (With Tilt Wheel) = 14

Basic Optical Mouse = 13

* No 12 listed *

Optical Mouse = 11

Wireless Optical Mouse = 10

Wireless Wheel Mouse = 9

Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer = 8

Wheel Mouse Optical = 7

Trackball Optical = 6

Trackball Explorer = 5

IntelliMouse Web = 4

IntelliMouse Optical = 3

IntelliMouse Explorer = 2

Microsoft Mouse = 1

IntelliMouse = 0

This HAS to be set.

Now I said I added it into a transform, but you could probably just add a public property for it to the property table of the MSI, that would allow you to set it from the command line. The property MM is being set via a custom action right now, but there shoudn't be any reason you couldn't add MM to the property table, then just add that as a commandline option like so:

IP50.msi MM=3 (This probably wouldn't work by default, you would have to modify the property table.)

Let me know if you need more help.

Hey thanks a lot Joe User 99, using the MM switch worked without any additional modifications to the MSI.

100% working now