Domain Login Problem

Hello,

I'm using an unattended xpcd to install the XP OS and register the PC automatically to an existing, properly working domain. This are the lines in the winnt.sif:

[Identification]
JoinDomain=MY_EXISTING_PROPERLY_WORKING_DOMAIN
DomainAdmin=Administrator
DomainAdminPassword=F_ING_UNENCRYPTED_PWD

Problem Description: At first login it takes about 5min to "build the domain list" and then refuses to log in a domain user returning a

"The Network Logon Service was not Started" error message!

Just btw.: the "build domain list" takes EVERY time about 5min; even if want to select the localhost..

Annex: I'm using a preregistered version of MS WinXP (University License) incl. SP1

Thanks in advance

ps. Is there any possibility to encrypt the domain password?!

• 3 weeks later...

Does the machine have multiple NICs in it?  Almost sounds as if the binding order of the NICs is incorrect.

Hi,

the machines have mostly no multiple NICs but I don't know what You mean by ` binding order` ..

neither do I know what effect the flags UseDomainNameDevolution and EnableLMHosts have. Could someone explain it pleeeze.

Thank You in advance.

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[NetAdapters]
Adapter1=params.Adapter1

[params.Adapter1]
INFID=*

[NetClients]
MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

[NetServices]
MS_SERVER=params.MS_SERVER

[NetProtocols]
MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]
DNS=No
UseDomainNameDevolution=No
EnableLMHosts=No
AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]
SpecificTo=Adapter1
DHCP=Yes
; IPAddress=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
SubnetMask=255.255.255.0
; DefaultGateway=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
; DNSServerSearchOrder=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
WINS=Yes
WinsServerList=131.188.118.6  ; separate by commas .xxx,xxx.
; NetBIOSOptions=1

[Identification]
JoinDomain=LKT
CreateComputerAccountInDomain=Yes
DoOldStyleDomainJoin=Yes
DomainAdmin=Administrator
DomainAdminPassword=XXXXXXXX

I think your workstation for some reason have difficulties communicating with domain controller (PDC emulator) ... if you exclude join to the domain part from your winnt.sif and later join ws manually to the domain, would you still have same problem? This usually appears when ws can't locate pdc emulator ... Do you find any events in evenit log on ws or server?

Have you tried it without these lines?

CreateComputerAccountInDomain=Yes
DoOldStyleDomainJoin=Yes

If that workstation name already exists in Active Directory, wouldn't it create a conflict?

I had a similar problem. It turns out that the workstation name was registered in Active Directory as Windows 2000, and I was now logging on as XP. So I deleted the workstation from AD and immediately recreated it, then logged on with the new XP workstation, and it worked!

@Professor Frink: tried also withouth the 2 lines of the winnt.sif but same problem..

@Rahbas: there must be a way of achieving an unattended domain login without the netdom.exe

don't get me wrong, i will try it out too, but i would prefer to solve this by the winnt.sif file..

@klasika: where sould i look for the event.log?!

A little completion: At the login screen, after pressing ctrl+alt+del, i need to switch to the domain i want to log in and by clicking on the field there pops up a `please be patient` dialog telling me that the domainlist is beeing build...

well, whatever, after a few minutes i can select my domain (so it seems that somehow the domain was recognized) and it takes again ca.3min for the domainlist beeing rebuild or whatever. After typing the domain password this message pops up: The Network Logon Service was not Started

Any suggestions?!