Restart XP without rebooting

This used to be doable in older versions of windows, can it be done in XP?

Ive been tweaking my broadband connection and every time i make a change to my RWIN setting, i need to reboot so that windows registry is reinitialized. It took many reboots before i found a good setting and i just wondered of there was a short way of reinitializing the registry (rebooting windows).

Heres what I use to kill the explorer process which is supposed to reinitialize cause it kill's everything. Make sure you have changes saved before applying. If you move an icon on desktop then that's not saved and they will go back where they were. Its funny try moving a few and you'll see.

kill.vbs

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
   & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
   ("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'explorer.exe'")
For Each objProcess in colProcessList
   objProcess.Terminate()
Next

I remember Refresh in a previous version but haven't found anything supporting it in XP :)

You can also add this to the registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]"EnableQuickReboot"="1"

And use Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Del to Quick reboot

EnableQuickReboot
Enable Quick Reboot (Windows NT/2000)

NOT!! here on XP

From the web

1 : Enables quick restart with Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Del, at the risk of losing data, by forcing all current applications to close. Uses the same API as the Resource Kit shutdown /c utility. You had better avoid enabling that entry.

But I am adventuresome and tried it, it didn't work here. All you wanna do is close Explorerr process and restart it, what I provided will do just that. I tried it on several key's need a reboot to take effect and it work's. I'm not saying it will work for all, like the icon's.

Ending explorer doesnt seem to reinitialize the registry, the settings i change only take effect after windows has shut down completely.

By the way, the proper way to end explorer (without forcing it) is to go to "start" "turn off..." and then while holding ctrl+alt+shift, click "cancel". Explorer will shut down on its own. Of course to restart just use task manager.

But like i said, ending explorer doesnt allow the changes to take effect. For me anyways.

Ive been tweaking my broadband connection

I just paid attention to that and yep a total reboot is necessary, maybe cause it loads the data to NIC's then??? I have Starband and I have to total reboot here also with any changes.

piaqt

Thats what that little vbs file is doing look closely at it. Process

As I said it do work on some but

I'm not saying it will work for all

But then logoff don't work for all either.

Now got me thinking if theres a way to cycle power or settings on a NIC.... have to look into that. Would be nice. I know you can disable but does it load new settings when it restart's? Off to looking for answer's

I tried disabling it then turning it back on, that didnt work either. I thought about uninstalling it from device manager then reinstalling it again, but thats more time consuming then a reboot.

I just read somewhere on dslreports.com a lil while ago that the only way to get the settings to change is a reboot.

Restarting Explorer only reinitializes the shell, i.e. the user interface.

To restart XP, you must reboot in order to reinitialize the kernel (ntoskrnl.exe), device drivers, and system services.

If you don't like rebooting, just leave your computer on. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
can it *.exe to??

i hope so :D

For using wildcards in WMI you have to use the '%' character.

But while using wildcards you also need to exchange the comparator from '=' to 'LIKE' so the result woult look like this:

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name like '%.exe'")
For Each objProcess in colProcessList
objProcess.Terminate()
Next

Be sure to know what you do with this - with all *.exe processes terminated you *WILL* have to reboot the hard way because it's most likely that your current session will be beyond any bounds to get fixed and running stable again.

Also keep in mind that you might stumble upon processes which do not like to be terminated this way.

Greetings

Dominik