Sp2 Slip-Streamed = non removeable?

borrow a geek

hey there,

I recently slipstreamed sp2 into a ISO that was already slip streamed with sp1. even though I read many times not to install on my primary computer, i went ahead and installed it fresh on a computer that i had no intention of using as a primary computer, until lightning destroyed my primary pc. now im depending on this one with SP2 installed.

with that in mind. im having some issues with sp2, and quite frankly alot of the new security features in sp2 are flaky and buggy, as well as just annoying. Not to mention that it may in fact, cease to work, when the beta time limit runs out.

does anyone have any idea how to uninstall sp2 when it was installed from the cd that was slip streamed? it is fairly easy to do when it is installed after the fact as an add on to windows, since it is included in the add/remove programs dialog. but with it slipstreamed, it isn't in that list anywhere.

any help would appreciated. :)

Geek

p.s. i DID do a quick search for info on this site as well as a google search and came up dry.

thanks for the fast reply,

I tried inserting the standard XP cd without slipstream to recover it but it said the operating system you are running is newer that the one you are trying to install and cannot be installed.

the one thing i have not tried however is to boot from the cd and do a repair of windows. perhaps that may work... any other suggestions?

just had a thought, what if i were to run the service pack 2 installation as though it were not applied? perhaps it would then put the information into the add/remove programs and then let me uninstall it. or even give me the option to repair/remove sp2? hmmm :)

If you are worried about your files just create a new partiton and then back them up, but you will not be able to get rid of a slipstream without a fresh install. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

just had a thought, what if i were to run the service pack 2 installation as though it were not applied? perhaps it would then put the information into the add/remove programs and then let me uninstall it. or even give me the option to repair/remove sp2?  hmmm  :)

Maybe but I highly doubt it.

just had a thought, what if i were to run the service pack 2 installation as though it were not applied? perhaps it would then put the information into the add/remove programs and then let me uninstall it. or even give me the option to repair/remove sp2?  hmmm  :)

Maybe but I highly doubt it.

ill post my results here when im done.

Think about that for a second. When it installs the service pack, it backs up the CURRENT files being replaced. Where would it get the SP1 files from to backup? No, it won't work. And repairing the installation won't work either, you'll end up with setup freezing at the 39min mark of graphical setup. The only way to go back to SP1 is a format and reinstall.

Think about that for a second.  When it installs the service pack, it backs up the CURRENT files being replaced.  Where would it get the SP1 files from to backup?  No, it won't work.  And repairing the installation won't work either, you'll end up with setup freezing at the 39min mark of graphical setup.  The only way to go back to SP1 is a format and reinstall.

100% CORRECT, it just hadnt dawned on me when i brainstormed that one. i guess ill just deal with it like it is.

when the beta is expired will it cease to work? any one know?

To install without uninstalling prior version

go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

and Delete the Keys CSDBuild and CSDVersion

Don't reboot before doing upgrade.

OMG I LOVE YOU!

OMG I LOVE YOU!

has anyone tryed this does it work i have not tryed it :)