Guests are not allowed

Hi all

I have a Windows XP Pro with SP1 and Windows Update as of today, but that is not relative to what I want to ask.

I have a shared folder on my PC that I like to access from my clients PC's in the event that I need some software. Some of the users are on a workgroup and others on the domain.

As you all know if the guest account is not enabled then 2000/XP PC's ask for a username and password while 95/98 PC's can't connect at all. So I have enabled the guest account and disabled Simple File Sharing (Which is the logical thing to do).

Now when I try to connect to my PC from a 2000/XP PC, it gives me a Logon Failure error. Fair enough, so I try to give access to Everyone and Guest on my shared folder, but still "Logon Failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer". :)

I have gone into Local Settings MMC, but there's nothing there that can help me. I seem to be the only person in the world that has experienced this. And it's not software I've installed as it happened from when I first installed XP and on my previous 2 PC's that I had XP installed on.

I hope there is help out there. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Envinyatar,

your not the only one, a friend of mine had the same,

I DID solve it for him, but don't know how anymore,

you will have to Re-do something, was the puter at some time joined to the domain

if your still watching this thread, I will try to remember / ask

gr /\/\o\/\/

Corporate version of XP Pro?

I think this is default. Go into gpedit.msc. It's in there. I don't remember off hand,

but I think it's something like Computer configuration/Security Settings/Local Policies/User Rights Assignment/Access the computer from the network.

Add guests or everyone and restart.

If that's not it, is somewhere in there. Check, Deny logon locally, etc.

Enabling the Guest account and allowing guest access over a network are 2 different things. You should never enable the guest account, although sometimes you might have to for downlevel clients (win9x).

Make sure you're using the same username and password on both computers. Clear out control keymgr.dll. Use secpol.msc to make sure your account has access rights to your account and it's not denied. Make sure any firewalls are temp disabled.

-gosh