Is Antivirus safe to use?

OldSchool38

An interesting watch indeed!  Particularly the notion that a "sandbox" OPENS UP VULNERABILITIES that would otherwise NOT EXIST if the computer was not running "anti-virus".

The whole notion of Zero Day has always been enough for me to NOT run anti-virus - a heuristic scan cannot protect you from something it does not know how to find!

And BINGO!  As the presenter stated, "The reason I don't get malware is that I don't click on things, I don't download attachments".  We called this "net savvy" back in the day.

Also, as the presenter states, "I don't just download apps I get from the internet, especially free apps, and then run them without making sure they are authentic."

It's also why I will not use a web browser that doesn't have a "status bar" - it is an ingrained habit to hover, eye down to status bar, read status bar, spin some brain gears based on that read, then go from there.

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I think more dangers come from java scripts.

Agreed.  Though I would reword that to say third-party javascript.  (no space, I read java scripts with a space and think Java code)

MSFN tends to be the "net savvy" crowd that don't allow third-party javascripts "willy-nilly".

image.png.add08f527e4675fdd67813864740139a.png

7 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Agreed.  Though I would reword that to say third-party javascript.  (no space, I read java scripts with a space and think Java code)

MSFN tends to be the "net savvy" crowd that don't allow third-party javascripts "willy-nilly".

image.png.add08f527e4675fdd67813864740139a.png

Sounds like using the NoScript addon is a more reliable way of protection!