Windows 2000 on Compaq Presario C700

dearleader

I am trying to install Windows 2000 Professional SP4 on a Compaq Presario C700, dual-booting with its native Vista. During installation, the setup froze on the Setup is starting Windows 2000 screen, but I was able to get past it by selecting Standard PC as my HAL. It installed successfully, but none of the onboard devices work, i.e. the keyboard, touchpad, and so on - I had to use a USB keyboard to complete the installation and use the system.

After installing Vista on a second partition, I get a 0×7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD, and the PC will no longer let me into Windows at all. What could be causing this issue, and how can I get my two installs to work properly and play nice with each other? Thank you!

The 0x7b on devices with SATA devices usually translates to:

The setting in the BIOS is NOT for CSM (or IDE support mode) and the needed SATA driver is missing.

It is likely that you have the Windows 2000 install made in CSM and the Vista one in SATA mode.

Cannot say if a suitable Windows 2000 SATA driver is available, if there is one, you need to re-install the 2000 with it (AHCI mode) or add it manually (not easy), otherwise, it is likely that you will have to go to the BIOS and change the setting every time you boot to the other OS.

jaclaz

On 11/5/2023 at 1:31 PM, dearleader said:

I am trying to install Windows 2000 Professional SP4 on a Compaq Presario C700, dual-booting with its native Vista. During installation, the setup froze on the Setup is starting Windows 2000 screen, but I was able to get past it by selecting Standard PC as my HAL. It installed successfully, but none of the onboard devices work, i.e. the keyboard, touchpad, and so on - I had to use a USB keyboard to complete the installation and use the system.

After installing Vista on a second partition, I get a 0×7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD, and the PC will no longer let me into Windows at all. What could be causing this issue, and how can I get my two installs to work properly and play nice with each other? Thank you!

try the hfslip of blackwingcat.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the bump – I forgot about this thread, and wanted to try again after a few months.

windows2, I made an ISO with HFSLIP and it also refuses to load setup. I do not want to use the F5 procedure and select Standard PC, because that is actually what disables all of my onboard devices.

I think I’ve figured out the issue: this machine has an InsydeH2O BIOS, which is known to not play nice with Windows 2000. Some research tells me that the serial port settings could be the problem – however, I do not have these settings at all in my BIOS, and would need a mod to change them. The BIOS currently running is version F.35, revision 3.0 (search for "sp48079.exe" if you would like the image). Being from early 2008, this laptop is not on EFI.