how use NTFS?

Joaquim

i installed the NTFS from SP3, then i used a flash pen with 16GB's and works fine.

but if i use an external disk 500GB's the Explorer is rebooted...

i need a patch for read external disks with 500GB's or more... and is SATA disk

Rloew created the 137GB patch (48bit addressing mode, for drives over 137GB). But that's for IDE 48bit addressing. I don't know that you need it for USB.

What USB drivers are you using? NUSB? SP3?

If you have another drive to test with, or if it is not an issue to reformat your 500Gb drive, you can try a FAT32 formatting (maybe you already have?). If it works, you probably don't need a patch (not for Windows, anyway).

I know that I could not mount a NTFS formatted drive, that had been prepared by Linux (older version). But once I used Paragon to prepare the driver, everything was fine. The only issue was that the partition was really slow on transfers, with Linux; it was fine with Win98. For the record, it was a 1GB NTFS USB (internally SATA) drive.

I think Paragon NTFS (which is the driver from SP3) supports NTFS 1.2, 3.0, and 3.1. But I didn't think the NTFS changes, after Windows XP, were too significant. The backwards compatibility is supposed to be pretty good. But that's between different versions of Windows NT; maybe Paragon missed something.

Did you format the 16GB and 500GB with the same method? What method(s) did you use?

Sorry, that I can't give you better help. Maybe it isn't even a formatting issue. How new is the USB drive or Housing? I've had issues with certain combinations of SATA2USB and Hard Drive firmware, not working on every machine.

On 8/23/2023 at 12:23 AM, Joaquim said:

if i use an external disk 500GB's the Explorer is rebooted

1. Try to access drive from other file manager - far, total comander or else.

2. Is this drive accessible on the same PC from other OS like XP?

5 hours ago, awkduck said:

I don't know that you need it for USB.

RLoew did 64-bit LBA patch for SCSI and I wrote driver for the same (USB drives are SCSI from protocol view point), but 500GB drive has to use 32-bit LBA and does not need any patch by default.

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

It must have happened many years ago or it was a really old drive. :whistle:

jaclaz

2014 at the oldest, and 2016 at the newest.

Western Digital Elements. It was this one, but instead of P/N: WDBUZG0010BBK-EESN it was P/N: WDBUZG0010BBK-04.

Yep, sure :yes:, those are 1 TB hard disks, not 1 GB ...

I was just having a little bit of fun at your typo, 1 GB hard disks were common around 1995 or 1996, maybe earlier, and of course they were IDE or SCSI, SATA specifications were first released in 2000 and it took some time to become common, but by then (2003) the minimum capacity of (SATA) hard disks was more like 40GB or so .

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

i'm sorry, but seems that i didn't get notifications :(

awkduck: "Rloew created the 137GB patch (48bit addressing mode, for drives over 137GB). But that's for IDE 48bit addressing. I don't know that you need it for USB.

What USB drivers are you using? NUSB? SP3?"

is 3.6.

the external disk is with 'box' on USB.. the disk have 500GB's or more(i have 1 with 1TB's).

when i connect it, after install the Paragon, the Eplorer give me an error message and then reboot the  Explorer.

FIXED: yes the Paragon works fine.. so what was the problem!?! on these tested disk was the adapter power... but the others 2 disks(500GB's and 1TB's), that i have them, works fine... thank you so much.

for finish these topic: how can i show the NTFS labels on 'My Computer'?