New Windows 8.1 Installation

mshultz

OK, my Office Home and Business 2010 arrived yesterday from Canada.  Another quick deliver from Canada, but then Northeast Ohio is just on the other side of Lake Erie.  Installed and Activated.  Like Office Professional 2010, it has both 32 and 64 bit versions.  I installed the 64 bit version on the Laptop, then spent a lot of time turning off the auto formatting features.  I hope I got them all.  I then installed Adobe Acrobat X Standard.  This will allow me to merge the Church Council minutes into one .pdf file on either computer.  In order to get the Laptop to boot directly to the login screen, I need access to the Local Group Policy Editor.  However, this is only available on Windows 8.1 Pro.  I bought a Windows 8.1 Pro Pack key off of eBay.  Whether this is a good use of $35 is open to debate.  The Pro Pack also includes Windows Media Center, but the Windows 8 version is crippled compared to the Windows 7 version.  My 2 new Logitech B100 mice also showed up.  It soon became apparent that I was not going to become proficient on the Touch Pad anytime soon, and the mouse I was using had a sticky wheel due to age.

3 hours ago, mshultz said:

The Pro Pack also includes Windows Media Center, but the Windows 8 version is crippled compared to the Windows 7 version.

They are essentially the same, but both now suffer from the lack of EPG data in Microsoft’s proprietary format:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180377-windows-media-center-epg-ending-in-january-2020/

There is still no real PC-based alternative for cable subscribers in the USA, but if you wish to record over-the-air TV, then you have options. (Of course younger people mainly use Netflix etc. these days.)

I received my Windows 8.1 Pro Pack yesterday.  The installation took longer than expected, but was successful.  I had to re-activate Windows afterward.  Went into gpedit.msc and told it not to display the lock screen.  The Pro Pack, Office 2010, and Windows 8.1 that I purchased from eBay all appear to be legitimate software, so I am pleased.

On 7/12/2023 at 4:44 AM, Dixel said:

Do you have an option "Allow memory remap", it usually helps, otherwise I agree, it's a bug in Windows 7, not the case with Vista, weirdly enough.

Dear Gawd, I've been looking for this for centuries! It allowed me to use +480megs on my 32bit OS, many thanks!

Some years ago I bought Office 2010 from Ebay. The package was sealed and it looked brand new but it would not activate at all. After a little while the ebay seller disappeared. I rather use it pirated than risking loosing money. I think Microsoft should sell licenses for their old software cheap.

On 8/1/2023 at 4:00 PM, tekkaman said:

Some years ago I bought Office 2010 from Ebay. The package was sealed and it looked brand new but it would not activate at all. After a little while the ebay seller disappeared. I rather use it pirated than risking loosing money. I think Microsoft should sell licenses for their old software cheap.

That is unfortunate.  I avoid software that is suspiciously low in price, but ultimately, it is a matter of faith.  Sometimes you win, though.  I purchased  Visual Studio 6.0 Professional that was sold as the Academic version, because close examination of the packaging told me it was the Commercial version that had been purchased at a college bookstore.  The Office 2010 Home and Student edition would have met my needs, but I bought the Home and Business version so that some future cantankerous member of Church Council would not be able to accuse me of using an Office version illegally, by stating incorrectly that the Home and Student version could not be used for Church Council minutes.

The Window 8.1 Pro Pack tag says Made in Mexico.  Most Microsoft software is made in Puerto Rico.  Microsoft software that says Made in USA is suspicious.

• 4 weeks later...

For the first time in a number of days, I was able to update the Windows Defender definitions on both the desktop & laptop, and without error messages.  It could be much worse; a recent Windows 11 update is causing a BSOD on some computers.