Windows Vista on Dell Latitude 5480

Novek

Hello, I am trying to install drivers for Windows Vista with the extended kernel on Dell Latitude 5480 but none of them work. I searched the forums to see if anyone has a driver for Intel HD Graphics 620 and Intel Dual-Band wireless 8265 and I found this post from win32 that says he's working on it but nothing else.

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

image.png

Use NTOSKRNL Emu_Extender.

Newer Intel HD Graphics drivers (along with UHD and Iris) will only work partially in Windows Vista. You will not notice any problem from the Device Manager, but the driver breaks anything Direct3D 9 or earlier with problem signature BEX/BEX64. However, you still can use apps or games that use Direct3D 10, 11, Vulkan, and OpenGL API perfectly.

You will also need to press F8 and Disable Driver Signature Enforcement every boot.

For temporary solution (only to eliminate BEX crashes), just rename igdumdim64.dll in System32 and igdumdim32.dll in SysWOW64. But you will cannot:

• Play games or use graphical designing/editing programs released in 2008 or earlier (unless using DirectX 10 or OpenGL API)
  • Play videos using Windows Media Player (if you want to play videos, look for the 3rd party media players like VLC, MPC-HC, KMPlayer, GOM Player, or Real Player)
  • Use Windows Aero theme
  • Use screensavers
  • 3D benchmarks (unless you can set or select the 3D rendering API manually)

Or just use the discrete GPU (Nvidia/Radeon) for Direct3D 9 if your laptop also has it.

The Intel Graphics Control Panel cannot be opened yet until you renamed those files. And you also can't adjust the resolution and refresh rate from the Intel Graphics control panel, so that you must adjust the resolution and refresh rate from the Windows Display settings.

Edited by Brickedandroid

On 6/26/2023 at 10:27 PM, Brickedandroid said:

Use NTOSKRNL Emu_Extender.

I tried using that but it told me that the inf file wasn't compatible so I edited the file but I got a Code 39 and the only things that work are sound and my microphone

image.png

hosfhsdhof.JPG

Capture.JPG

dghfiug.JPG

hgiufhid.JPG

7 hours ago, Novek said:

I tried using that but it told me that the inf file wasn't compatible so I edited the file but I got a Code 39 and the only things that work are sound and my microphone

Have you modified the .sys driver file using CFF Explorer, by modifying the minor versions in the optional header section and renaming ntoskrnl.exe to ntoskrn8.sys in the import directory? Also, don't forget to re-calculate the checksum after modifying.

Or there might be some new missing functions that weren't added yet to the ntoskrn8.sys itself. Try checking that modified driver in the same folder with the ntoskrn8.sys using Dependency Walker x64.

Edited by Brickedandroid

22 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

Have you modified the .sys driver file using CFF Explorer, by modifying the minor versions in the optional header section and renaming ntoskrnl.exe to ntoskrn8.sys in the import directory? Also, don't forget to re-calculate the checksum after modifying.

yes

22 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

Try checking that modified driver in the same folder with the ntoskrn8.sys using Dependency Walker x64.

Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture5.JPG

On 6/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, Novek said:

yes

Capture3.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Please download the dependency walker x64 here: https://www.dependencywalker.com/depends22_x64.zip

Then put the .sys driver file in the same folder with ntoskrn8.sys, drop the .sys driver file to the Dependency Walker window, and send the screenshot to me.

For the optional header, replace all the 000A's to 0006. Those are the major versions.

Have you copied the ntoskrn8.sys to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ folder? If don't, please copy the file and then restart the computer, and don't forget to press F8 and disable the driver signature enforcement.

Edited by Brickedandroid

20 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

Then put the .sys driver file in the same folder with ntoskrn8.sys, drop the .sys driver file to the Dependency Walker window, and send the screenshot to me.

FBqLJZr.jpg

4FKgty1.png

QZwcG8f.pngTpobIGB.png

Wow, there may be some missing functions. Please repeat the analysis and re-send the screenshot but with selecting the dependency .sys file(s) marked with red box, sort the "PI" column, and scroll to the top or bottom, and you should see the red "C" box signs which represent the needed functions that aren't exist yet in NTOSKRNL8.sys or in other dependency files. Or please send those .sys files to me, and I will analyze them myself.

Edited by Brickedandroid

1 hour ago, Brickedandroid said:

Please repeat the analysis and re-send the screenshot but with selecting the dependency .sys file(s) marked with red box, sort the "PI" column, and scroll to the top or bottom, and you should see the red "C" box signs which represent the needed functions that aren't exist yet in NTOSKRNL8.sys or in other dependency files.

capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xq7j8w3igw0qrbi/modified+winvista+drivers.zip/file

Edited by Novek

On 7/3/2023 at 3:12 AM, Novek said:

If you can't get network working can you get graphics working?

On 7/3/2023 at 6:21 AM, Brickedandroid said:

NDIS

He meant NDISsetcoalescabletimerobject.