vista not booting from ssd

hokarikanae

Hi everyone, i'm trying to install windows vista on a Silicon Power ssd (512gb) but after the installation it won't boot, leavong the motherboard to try again and bootloop the bios. I installed it with the AHCI option enabled but switching to IDE i've been able to enter the os. I would like to stick with AHCI mode, this issue doesn't appear with an hdd of the same size, is there a way to fix this?

Then boot with IDE, and manually set the option or change the setting in the Registry:

https://tweaks.com/windows/36885/disable-automatic-restart/

this is XP, but the setting/registry key is the same in Vista and 7

But if it happens before you can invoke the F8 menu and the issue is before the actual boot of the OS changing the setting won't change anything.

It is strange as at BIOS and BOOTMGR level there should be no difference between IDE and AHCI (and also this queer difference between hard disk and SSD).

Maybe it is something mis-configured in the \boot\BCD, but I wonder what could it be.

Are you familiar with editing/modifying the \boot\BCD?

Ever used BootIce? Or Visual BCD editor?

An attempt could be adding a choice/entry to the \boot\BCD (even a "dummy" one) and see if you get to the selection of the choices.

If you have a spare USB stick you could make it into a "Vista floppy" and edit the BCD on the stick, so that you don't risk modifying the one on the internal HD/SSD.

jaclaz

11 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Then boot with IDE, and manually set the option or change the setting in the Registry:

Haven't you noticed, jaclaz, he wrote he could get into the system after he changed from AHCI to IDE in his BIOS, even though he installed the OS using AHCI mode.

It's not possible to boot without the registry fix appled first! He'd get BSOD right away! So something fishy is going on.

He doesn't tell us everything, obviously.

"I installed it with the AHCI option enabled but switching to IDE i've been able to enter the os."

For all we know it could be a glitch in the install where the AHCI drivers didn't install properly and the standard ATA ones were installed, or *whatever else*.

The suggested registry change is only to allow the machine (IF it crashes with a BSOD) to not reboot automatically, allowing to read the STOP error number (which with similar disk issues would be 0x0000007b).

The really strange thing is however the reported difference in behaviour between SSD and HDD.

jaclaz

7 hours ago, jaclaz said:

The suggested registry change is only to allow the machine (IF it crashes with a BSOD) to not reboot automatically, allowing to read the STOP error number (which with similar disk issues would be 0x0000007b).

No, I meant the below fixes need to be applied in the registry if you want to change from AHCI to IDE.

I should've been more specific, sorry. I was under the impression you would understand:

Change to AHCI mode from IDE mode:

You can use the MS Fix it tool or edit the registry yourself.

Link to tool here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976/

Regedit:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.

2. Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.

3. Now type Regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window. (If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.)

4. Locate and then click the following registry sub key: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci

5. In the right pane right-click Start in the Name column and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.

7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

8. Restart your computer

9. Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot

10. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

Change to ACHI mode from RAID mode:

3. Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.

4. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

5. Locate and then click the following registry subkeys: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\pciide

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi

6. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

7. In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.

8. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

9. Restart your computer

10. Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot

11. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

Note: You might not have the last registry key (iastor) as this is installed in the registry with the intel raid drivers, the default windows 7 raid driver uses the iastorV key.

Change to RAID mode from AHCI mode or IDE mode:

3. Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor

6. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

9. Restart your computer

10. Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable RAID, Save & Reboot

22 hours ago, jaclaz said:

But if it happens before you can invoke the F8 menu and the issue is before the actual boot of the OS changing the setting won't change anything.

It is strange as at BIOS and BOOTMGR level there should be no difference between IDE and AHCI (and also this queer difference between hard disk and SSD).

Maybe it is something mis-configured in the \boot\BCD, but I wonder what could it be.

Are you familiar with editing/modifying the \boot\BCD?

Ever used BootIce? Or Visual BCD editor?

An attempt could be adding a choice/entry to the \boot\BCD (even a "dummy" one) and see if you get to the selection of the choices.

If you have a spare USB stick you could make it into a "Vista floppy" and edit the BCD on the stick, so that you don't risk modifying the one on the internal HD/SSD.

jaclaz

I tried to change the value of the register but doesn't display any bsod, it just restart itself

38 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

No, I meant the below fixes need to be applied in the registry if you want to change from AHCI to IDE.

I should've been more specific, sorry. I was under the impression you would understand:

Change to AHCI mode from IDE mode:

You can use the MS Fix it tool or edit the registry yourself.

Link to tool here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976/

Regedit:

3. Now type Regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window. (If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.)

4. Locate and then click the following registry sub key: 

5. In the right pane right-click Start in the Name column and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.

7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

8. Restart your computer

9. Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot

10. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

Change to ACHI mode from RAID mode:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\pciide

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi

9. Restart your computer

10. Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot

Note: You might not have the last registry key (iastor) as this is installed in the registry with the intel raid drivers, the default windows 7 raid driver uses the iastorV key.

Change to RAID mode from AHCI mode or IDE mode:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorV

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor

9. Restart your computer

10. Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable RAID, Save & Reboot

also tried this without any luck.

I've never changed BCD entries so this would be my first time. I also forgot to point out that i used GPT instead of MBR during the installation

Yeah, i posted this last night so i was tired and forgot that i used GPT. Since i installed the system in UEFI the default option was that. Is there a way to convert that to MBR or i need to format and reinstall everything?

1 hour ago, hokarikanae said:

Yeah, i posted this last night so i was tired and forgot that i used GPT. Since i installed the system in UEFI the default option was that. Is there a way to convert that to MBR or i need to format and reinstall everything?

VIsta doesn't support well GPT/UEFI AFAICR (and even 7 is more than a bit flaky with GPT/UEFI). :unsure:

Besides the issue reported here on MSFN on that given thread:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/179532-installing-vista-or-7-using-uefigpt/

there could be also a mismatch of architecture, 32 bit vs. 64 bit if you are booting UEFI, on the other hand if you attempted booting a GPT style disk via BIOS, there will be probably no code in the (protective) MBR, so it won't be able to boot, though I thought that in this case the system would halt and not reboot.

If your motherboard has CSM, it would be much easier to install in BIOS/CSM mode on a MBR style disk.

In theory it is possible to convert (most) GPT style disks to MBR (without losing data), though the manual way is complex and although dedicated third party tools exist (I believe Commercial only) it isn't worth the hassle for a new install (IMHO).

@D.Draker

jaclaz is not a clairvoyant, unfortunately, he usually relies on his crystal ball but currently it is under maintenance[1].

jaclaz

[1] and unfortunately also the I-Ching I use as a backup/temporary solution was unavailable

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

VIsta doesn't support well GPT/UEFI AFAICR (and even 7 is more than a bit flaky with GPT/UEFI).

But he wrote "this issue doesn't appear with an hdd of the same size", meaning Vista works perfectly fine with GPT, but not with his SDD. 

About Win7, you're right, it doesn't work well with GPT/UEFI, I agree.