Cloning Windows 2008 onto a new disk

j7n

On 11/23/2022 at 10:41 AM, j7n said:

I've cloned my system disk to a larger drive. The new drive won't boot. Apparently I need to convince the OS that the drive partitions are the same. The cloned volumes are exact same size with same serial numbers. I recall I need to go into the registry and edit DosDevices.

What complicates the setup is that I have Windows 2008 R2 with its new complicated BCD bootloader. I'm posting here because the problem is mainly with NT6 that I know little about. I can only edit the BCD while having booted into Windows 7 (not from a boot CD) with BOOTICE, and it refers to different drive letters of the current system. I do not want to edit the present system with Microsoft tools, but the cloned one. The new disk is currently connected to a secondary SATA controller. I don't know if it matters to how the BCD sees it.

• Partition 0 4GB: BCD boot loader, Windows 2003 SP2; C: for NT5, B: for NT6

• Partition 1 24GB: Windows 2008 R2; C: for NT6, B: for NT5

Neither of these would boot with a message from the BCD boot loader. The NT5 is never loaded.

What steps do I need to perform to complete the clone?

have you tried. AOMEI partition tool? it has a really good cloning tool in it (its worked good for me before) but it's your project so I'll let you decide what you want to use for it

Edited by legacyfan
fix spelling error

1 hour ago, legacyfan said:

have you tried aiomi partition tool?

I have never heard of it. The problem has already been solved. It was caused by letting Windows mount both disks at the same time, and change the identifier on the new disk. It would have happened regardless how the disk was initially copied.

3 hours ago, j7n said:

I have never heard of it. The problem has already been solved. It was caused by letting Windows mount both disks at the same time, and change the identifier on the new disk. It would have happened regardless how the disk was initially copied.

I never heard of it before either ! But just searched for it.

They introduce themselves as "Our Awesome Team"... lol

3 minutes ago, j7n said:

ok sorry about that I did not realize this was solved already