spatial sound and Windows Vista

Sergiaws

When I recently bought a new computer which came with Windows 10, it has an excellent audio quality in comparison with my Windows Vista computer. As I discovered, that-s due to the Dolby Atmos program which came installed. I tried other programs like Equalizer APO, but none of such programs where able to emulate such Dolby Atmos effect. For example, Equalizer APO and HeSuVi works in Windows Vista, but it moves the channels too strange and can-t emulate properly the Dolby effect despite that I tried to configure the channels and the presset, but I'm still not very happy with the result. As far as I read, Dolby Atmos works diferent cause it thread the audio as 3D sound, so it usually don't do such strange things with the channels. Other programs which I tried generates a lot of reverb or don't  work very well with my USB audio soundcard. So, is there a Dolby Atmos or similar software for Windows Vista and older systems?

Atmos works on Vista . Why wouldn't it ? It's ancient tech . You need to choose "allow to pass HD sound to HDMI" (maybe another phrase) and your receiver will get the sound.

For example in VLC under preferences/audio SPDIF/HDMI . Works for me 100%. I watch blurays with Atmos.

I was talking about Dolby Atmos for headphones and similar technologies. Apparently, there is an app for Windows 7/8.1 for Dolby Atmos for Headphones, but don't know if there is an older version for XP/Vista. And another question that I have, if the headfones support directly Dolby atmos (such as newer Razer/Apple headphones) will such headphone's technology work on XP/Vista?

I connect the headphones to an USB soundcard. The best thing that I found is installing Logitech driver despite that the sound card is not logitech, but I at least get 5.1/7.1 (Vista think that it is 5.1/7.1) then I applied HeSuVi, at least I reduced the "channel issue". It sounds a little bit better despite that it's not the exact Dolby Atmos emulation, but I think it could be the best possibility, maybe is it the closest thing to Dolby's Windows 10 surround for Windows Vista users?

Real Atmos works only through HDMI port (doesn't matter if it's a sound card or just Nvidia's onboard audio). SPDIF is not enough . USB adds huge latencies.

So , do you use HDMI port ? Or it's just simple active speakers with analogue inputs ? Then it's fake . It's just an emulation.

Only DTS HD MA or Atmos through HDMI to your AV would count as real sound with 7.1 channels and it works for me.

I don't use hdmi, so, I'm trying to recreate Windows 10/11's Dolby Atmos for headphones as good as it is possible. I just use a headphones connected to the computer through the usb Soundcard.

14 hours ago, Sergiaws said:

Windows 10/11's Dolby Atmos

Weird name for something which is absolutely not what they want you to think . To be frank , it's a blatant lie and a disgrace upon MS for using patented names.

1- You can't get 7.1 sound with 2 speakers (headphones).

2 - Dolby Atmos is something that only a good AV can decode and through HDMI .

3 - As for you situation, I'd try what your sound card software suggests. For example, in my Xonar I have spatial sound emulation in the supplied software .

It's called "virtual 7.1 sound".

• 2 weeks later...

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 is EOL, can't be activated legitimately anymore even with a legal copy and it never officially supported Vista, but it runs on it if the installer is fooled that it's running on Windows 7 or later. Can't say how good it is as I have no other point of reference plus my sound equipment was always cheap.