Update to how to integrate hotfixes...

According to the recently updated KB828930 (15/04/2004), you can use the "/integrate:path" parameter to integrate the hotfix source files into an installation source.

Unfortunately this only works with hotfixes that use "update.exe" version 5.4.15.0 or later. The latest release of hotfixes, ship with "update.exe" version 5.4.1.0.

Maybe in their next update, they will update the "update.exe" file. If they do, it would make integrating the hotfixes a LOT easier.

One thing I'm wondering about it in this article, it states the steps:

1. Copy KB******.exe to \svcpack\

2. Extract to temporary folder.

3. Copy KB******.cat to \svcpack\

4. Copy binary files to \I386\

5. Copy subfolder binary files to \I386\subfolder

6. Check if any files are not in dosnet.inf. If not, add them.

7. Add KB******.cat and KB******.exe to svcpack.inf file.

Now, what I want to know is what does all this accompish? Does it just run the hotfix and insert the registry entries? If so, my hotfix method should be changed to this one (MUCH easier). Or, does this run the entire hotfix again?

I'm going to try this out now. I'll let you know my results when I'm done.

If anyone else is interested, here is the link to the KB article:

How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source files

It should work on SP2 as the "update.exe" file has a version greater than 5.4.15.0. There are no SP1 updates that use the 5.4.15.0 "update.exe" yet so that's why they don't work.

Hotfix installation is a lot faster if you use the method outlined above. Each hotfix installs only the files that are missing (incase setup doesn't copy them or something), and updates the registry. I added all the current hotfix files to the I386 folder and when setup ran the hotfix, it only updated the registry.

The slowest thing with this method is actually when the hotfix is run and the files are extracted (bit of a bugger you can't bypass it :rolleyes: ).

EDIT: Also, if ALL the hotfixes are installed using the method above, you don't HAVE to run QCHAIN in your SVCPACK.inf file. I still used it though as not all hotfixes (OE and IE updates particulary) use the "update.exe" method and instead use the "inf file" method to install.

EDIT2: After further inspection KB835732 and KB826939 are installed but still appears on Windows Update. :)

One thing I'm wondering about it in this article, it states the steps:

1. Copy KB******.exe to \svcpack\

2. Extract to temporary folder.

3. Copy KB******.cat to \svcpack\

4. Copy binary files to \I386\

5. Copy subfolder binary files to \I386\subfolder

6. Check if any files are not in dosnet.inf. If not, add them.

7. Add KB******.cat and KB******.exe to svcpack.inf file.

Now, what I want to know is what does all this accompish? Does it just run the hotfix and insert the registry entries? If so, my hotfix method should be changed to this one (MUCH easier). Or, does this run the entire hotfix again?

This was the method that all pre SP2 hotfixes had to be integrated/slipstreamed by (according to Microsoft). However, there are some alternatives, but this was one of the more "tidier" methods.

I'm glad to see they're making integration a whole lot easier.

@neophyte: I hadn't actually read that article until today so I didn't know when that method was used. I guess it was just coincidence it's like my method (only difference being they run the hotfix file whereas I use a registry hive file). Glad I stumbled upon it now though. Makes my life a lot easier.

that article doesn't really relate to installing the hotfixes..

that article describes the correct way to slipstream them into your installation source files.. which is why SP1 and SP2 can be integrated using this method...

if they are slipstreamed you don't have to install them at all

this is basically the same as TheElderGeek's method of slipstreaming the SP1 and security rollup packages into your source

@[bM]Crusher: Who said anything about INSTALLING the hotfixes? When I mentioned installing the hotfixes, I meant installing them when setup runs them.

You INTEGRATE/SLIPSTREAM the hotfixes into the installation source files and then INSTALL them properly when setup is installing by running the hotfixes from SVCPACK.

Note: I have never seen the TheElderGeek's method so I can't compare them.

You INTEGRATE/SLIPSTREAM the hotfixes into the installation source files and then INSTALL them properly when setup is installing by running the hotfixes from SVCPACK.

this is what I am talking about... if an update is integrated/slipstreamed you DONT HAVE TO INSTALL IT to make it install properly.... it's there, it's integrated, it's slipstreamed, that's it it's done!!! the only thing you have to do is make sure it load any catalog files through svcpack.inf you don't have to run the whole update again!

otherwise, you would have to install service pack 1 after or during windows installation, even though it is SLIPSTREAMED!!! ???

it's pretty much the same as MSFN has, and that you had posted earlier.

Only difference, NOTHING. Some just see ElderGeek's first. So they call it the ElderGeek method, rather then the Microsoft method as it's how Microsoft likes it to be done.

@RaveRod :

I think this is what XPCreate does. It updates all the files in the share with the latest from Hotfixes, then creates the INF file and adds the entries for the hotfixes and cat file. But I could be wrong.

Crusher,Apr 24 2004, 10:41 PM] it's there, it's integrated, it's slipstreamed, that's it it's done!!! the only thing you have to do is make sure it load any catalog files through svcpack.inf you don't have to run the whole update again!

Actually, when integrating the current hotfixes (ones with "update.exe" that doesn't support /integrate) you have to run the hotfix again to install it because it adds the registry entries, registers files and everything else that the "*.inf" file does in each hotfix.

For SP1, SP2 and (hopefully) the next set of hotfixes, when you slipstream them, they add all that information whereas just coping the files (like the current process) doesn't do that.

I hope you understand what I'm talking about. :)

EDIT: Running the current hotfixes again makes sure all the correct files are installed. It doesn't update the files that you have integrated into the installation source.

• 3 weeks later...

So KB840374 seems to be the first hotfix that comes with update.exe version 5.4.15.0.

Using the /integrate switch actually works: it patches dosnet.inf and svcpack.inf, copies the .cat file and integrates its files into i386\. So far so good.

But BEWARE: it installs files with names like "Hsc.system.errors.connection.htm.cab" and marks them for copying in dosnet.inf -- which means that a winnt.exe initiated network install WILL FAIL MISERABLY, because of these new non-8.3 filenames. Great. What were they thinking?

Installation from cd works of course.

Any idea how to overcome this?

Definitely a step in the right direction. It would be a nice timesaver if we didn't have to install all the hotfixes one by one during setup (especially as they begin to pile up a year or more after a service pack).

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the newer update.exe with older service packs? In other words, extract the files from the installer, replace update.exe with the newer one then attempt to integrate. Might be a fun experiment :)

well, one question ryan, and all others...when doing this integrate, wouldnt you somehow end up with outdated files...say like integrating the latest IE cumulative patch, and then integrating a previous one...or does integrate automatically run qchain on the files its gonna update to make sure that a newer one doesnt exist (basically doin what qchain does in an unattended install)? It would seem to me that unless you integrate in order, you would end up with a non-working system or a system that uses some newer updates and some older updates...

PS...Im not sure but I would thnk just adding the updated update.exe would allow you to integrate all patches this way...I havent look at the internals of the newest hotfix, but if it is all run by update.exe, then within that one exe file has got to be how it integrates into the source...by lookin at inf sections, and updating needed source files...so it should be able to be done...but I dont wanna test unless I know for a fact that integrating these hotfixes this way wont screw up my system if they are out of order...

well, one question ryan, and all others...when doing this integrate, wouldnt you somehow end up with outdated files...say like integrating the latest IE cumulative patch, and then integrating a previous one...or does integrate automatically run qchain on the files its gonna update to make sure that a newer one doesnt exist (basically doin what qchain does in an unattended install)?  It would seem to me that unless you integrate in order, you would end up with a non-working system or a system that uses some newer updates and some older updates...

PS...Im not sure but I would thnk just adding the updated update.exe would allow you to integrate all patches this way...I havent look at the internals of the newest hotfix, but if it is all run by update.exe, then within that one exe file has got to be how it integrates into the source...by lookin at inf sections, and updating needed source files...so it should be able to be done...but I dont wanna test unless I know for a fact that integrating these hotfixes this way wont screw up my system if they are out of order...

While I can't say if it does or not, it would make logical sense that it automatically compare file versions to be sure that the newest remains.